No more Zinsser Sealcoat at the Borg?
I needed a quart of Sealcoat shellac but I didn't find any at HD this morning and Lowe's online didn't have it at my local store either. There was plenty of regular Clear and Amber shellac, though. Have they stopped carrying Sealcoat at the Borg? I'm not even sure when the regular Borg shopper would even reach for regular shellac vs the cans of polyurethanes nearby. Amazon sells Sealcoat but at 150% more $. Would they carry it at a paint store?
It's available at my local HD, but I've only ever seen it in gallons.  You can order it with free delivery for in-store pickup. 

John
Clerks at both push latex Kilz, which I wouldn't use on anything. Can't recall seeing the old shellac based Kilz anymore.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(06-17-2017, 12:14 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Clerks at both push latex Kilz, which I wouldn't use on anything.  Can't recall seeing the old shellac based Kilz anymore.

Shellac based BIN pigmented primer is available at HD.  But the OP asked about SealCoat, which is just dewaxed shellac (no pigment).

John
Pretty sure I saw it on my last trip to Menard's. Quarts and gallons. Also Rockler but can't remember sizes.

The Zinsser spray can shellac is dewaxed (is in the fine print on the can). It's stocked at my HD.
(06-18-2017, 08:36 AM)bruce2017 Wrote: The Zinsser spray can shellac is dewaxed (is in the fine print on the can). It's stocked at my HD.

I saw the cans but didn't look close since the label was nearly identical to their Clear.  Oh well, but I'll keep it in mind for the future.

I found a can of SealCoat at my Woodcraft this afternoon-last can.  I didn't start at WC because it's not as close and not near anywhere I usually shop, but we found a reason to go today.

Thanks
Paul
(06-17-2017, 09:27 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Pretty sure I saw it on my last trip to Menard's. Quarts and gallons. 

They do. You can also special order 5 gallon cans. 

Not sure my HD/Lowes would stop carrying it....might not sell a lot, tree hugger pressure? Did it get banned in CA? I know I get buy a TON of the spray shellac areosal cans from Menards....I special order cases all the time. I bet I get 100+ cans a year, easy. I should just get a second gun from my HVLP and buy it by the gallon, but the spray cans are so convenient, and cheap (when you factor in the time saved in no clean up time).

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(06-19-2017, 12:32 AM)packerguy® Wrote: They do. You can also special order 5 gallon cans. 

Not sure my HD/Lowes would stop carrying it....might not sell a lot, tree hugger pressure? Did it get banned in CA? I know I get buy a TON of the spray shellac areosal cans from Menards....I special order cases all the time. I bet I get 100+ cans a year, easy. I should just get a second gun from my HVLP and buy it by the gallon, but the spray cans are so convenient, and cheap (when you factor in the time saved in no clean up time).

If you get a 2nd gun and dedicate it to shellac, you really don't have to do much cleaning.  I'll use mine several times, just spraying a  little DNA through it before putting it away.  Sometimes months go by before I use it again and I just shoot a little more DNA through it and I'm good to go.  Seal Coat goes for about $40/gal at HD here and the spray cans run around $7.  I use the spray cans occasionally, but I get better results spraying from the gun.  The spray cans don't seem to atomize the shellac quite enough and can be more prone to orange peel, or at least in my experience.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Just had the same problem. I found and bought the last 2 cans at my local Ace.