I get around (marking gauge)
I got this gauge not long before we left for a vacation trip, so didn't get much chance to play.  Now, I have, and for the sake of anyone who finds its mate in future: if I try to use it the way I would use a gauge with a pin, it digs in like mad.  I need to roll it further over, so the corner of the square that does the marking is trailing quite a bit.  Once I did that in experimenting, it worked fine.
The only problems with the stuff Jack sells is that it's gone before I have a chance to send him an "I'll take it" message.
(07-03-2017, 11:27 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: The only problems with the stuff Jack sells is that it's gone before I have a chance to send him an "I'll take it" message.

Well, the obvious cure is to send him the message that you'll take it, whatever it is, whenever he offers it.  This might lead to your owning more Stanley No. 4s than you really need, but, hey, sacrifices are necessary in life.
(07-03-2017, 12:01 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Well, the obvious cure is to send him the message that you'll take it, whatever it is, whenever he offers it.  This might lead to your owning more Stanley No. 4s than you really need, but, hey, sacrifices are necessary in life.
The major problem these days is there's so many "eyes" out in the wild looking for tools that they're getting harder and harder to find...I remember how plentiful good tools were back in the early seventies and it's a far cry from that now...I'd like to have another shot at that nice #2 Stanley that I passed up because I thought $20.00 was too high a price!
Upset
Upset
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(07-04-2017, 08:37 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...........................
The major problem these days is there's so many "eyes" out in the wild looking for tools that they're getting harder and harder to find...I remember how plentiful good tools were back in the early seventies and it's a far cry from that now...

Ditto that.  I get skunked more often than not, and nowadays you really have to know what you are looking at as 'frankenplanes' abound.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(07-04-2017, 10:01 AM)Admiral Wrote: Ditto that.  I get skunked more often than not, and nowadays you really have to know what you are looking at as 'frankenplanes' abound.
"Getting skunked" is a way of life anymore, it seems...and how many times I have been skunked !!!! The tool hunting attraction {aka disease} goes deep and it's certainly not "the kill" that fascinates the "afflicted" among us, so it must in fact, be "the hunt"!!!!!!
Crazy
Crazy
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(07-04-2017, 08:37 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...........................
The major problem these days is there's so many "eyes" out in the wild looking for tools that they're getting harder and harder to find...I remember how plentiful good tools were back in the early seventies and it's a far cry from that now...I'd like to have another shot at that nice #2 Stanley that I passed up because I thought $20.00 was too high a price!
Upset  
Upset  
Big Grin

(07-05-2017, 11:34 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
"Getting skunked" is a way of life anymore, it seems...and how many times I have been skunked !!!! The tool hunting attraction {aka disease} goes deep and it's certainly not "the kill"  that fascinates the "afflicted" among us, so it must in fact, be "the hunt"!!!!!!
Crazy  
Crazy  
Big Grin

Kind of like fishing: the fishing is the focus, not necessarily the catching.
(07-05-2017, 12:45 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Kind of like fishing: the fishing is the focus, not necessarily the catching.

I don't know about that..... It sure would be nice to "catch" something. 

Now, when it comes to tools, I think I prefer the 'butcher's counter' myself. After all, someone needs to be there to relieve the diseased ones of their afflictions.
(06-17-2017, 05:01 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: *It is not well known that this is the original title of the song, "Do You Love Me, Now That I Can Dance?" made famous by the Contours.  The original song was written by Megan Patfitzrick, a young woodworker celebrating the purchase of her first marking gauge.  She first sang it at an open mic night to a total audience of two.  Fortunately/amazingly, one of them was Berry Gordy Jr.  He recognized the potential of the song, and talked to Megan after the show, asking if he could adapt it for a less obscure audience, and promising co-writing credits.  After a little work, Gordy offered it to the Contours (a fitting group's name for a song by a woodworker), who then made it famous.  You can hear echoes of the original song in the lyrics, such as "Do you love me/I'm in the groove," an obvious reference to marking out for a groove in a piece of stock.  Alas, Gordy lost the napkin on which he'd written Megan's name and contact information, and she never received the recognition or the royalties from the song, and eventually had to scrape out a living editing reprints of Shakespeare poems.

For those not familiar with the song (you're an international member, you're too young, you never paid attention to popular music when you were young, you can't remember a darn thing from your youth), here are a couple of renditions by the Contours:

When they were young

More...grown up

I loved it..... and thanks for both versions of the song.... it's been awhile.  The grown up version's voices were not quite as smooth, but it had a lot more energy and "production values"..
Skip

(07-07-2017, 02:15 PM)Skip J. Wrote: I loved it..... and thanks for both versions of the song.... it's been awhile.  The grown up version's voices were not quite as smooth, but it had a lot more energy and "production values"..

I liked "back when we had hair" in the intro of the grown up version.  I'm not bald, and it's not thinning much, but my hair sure isn't what it was.

And, yeah, the grown ups, singers and audience both, were having a great time when that little video was filmed (if that's the right word).