Stain for Beech
Never used Beech wood before.  Wondering if there are any special "Dos or Don'ts" to look out for when applying stain? It's a small coffee table, 18"x36", nothing fancy.  No knots but nothing fancy.  Will probably wind up in Granddaughter's college apartment. 

Thanks for any tips.   R.
I've never used beech but my guess is it won't take stain very well, probably a lot like maple.  I would look at dying it to get the color you need. 

John
I've never had much luck trying to stain Beech.  It is blotchy and very uneven.  I've gotten to the point that I don't stain wood anymore, I find something close to the color I want and use that rather than trying to evenly stain a lighter wood.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
As mentioned, beech is pretty close-grained.  Won't accept a pigment stain very well at all, just like maple.  You may dye it, and it'll look fine.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

R.
Remember to try it on a sample board first.  Not the project.   Agree with dye and not a pigmented stain.       Roly
I have built cabinets out of beech, European steamed beech, and used a stain from HGH.  Had them make the stain to match a pieice of furniture.  Used their pre-stain and it stained very well.  Dries in a short time and finished with pre-cat lacquer.   They look great