Toothed blades
(06-20-2017, 03:39 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Something posted on-line could potentially be wrong!  The shock!  The horror!  The irony (hope I picked the right word and didn't pull an Alanis Morissette) of finding a discussion of what is the correct method on-line ... 
Big Grin

Carry on.

It's like a free ride when you've already paid.  I'm afraid you did pull an Alanis Morissette on that one
(06-20-2017, 09:30 PM)EricU Wrote: It's like a free ride when you've already paid.  I'm afraid you did pull an Alanis Morissette on that one

I was working from this definition:

a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

plural noun: ironies
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(06-20-2017, 01:10 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Thanks one and all.  Consensus is the bevel, which ran contrary to advice I was given, which confused me and lead to my original post!  The article Admiral posted is a good read.

Tony,

I think the confusion results from the difference between vintage and modern toothed blades. If you look at an LN or LV toothed blade, there are large flats between the teeth, and the teeth are cut very deep. I don't see any reason why these blades couldn't be worked on the backs, much as you'd sharpen any other blade.

On the other hand, on vintage irons the teeth were cut with a chisel. There is no flat, and the teeth are quite shallow. Working the back on stones would very quickly change the basic geometry of the teeth,and would eventually wear them away to the point of uselessness.
voigtplanes.com
blackdogswoodshop.blogspot.com