Question about the older Performax sanders..
Where the original Performax 16/32 sanders an Asian import? I ask because I thought they were made in the US. I see one listed on my local CL, and the label shows it being made in Taiwan. It's an original Performax.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have a Performax 10-20 that was manufactured in 2007 and it was made in Taiwan.

Mike
Mine is a Performax also tagged Jet, and it was made in Taiwan. Has been a great machine.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Thanks guys. I know they are good...I was just surprised to see the Taiwan label on this one.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The original Performax sanders were made in the USA, and as far as I know, always were USA-made while manufactured by Performax. Jet purchased Performax in 1999, so anything made since was most likely imported. Jet did sell the sanders for a while branded only as Performax, so the name on the sander will not necessarily tell you if was made by the Performax company. I believe, and I could be mistaken about this part, is that Jet started branding them as Jet Performax when they introduced the SandSmart conveyor controller. 

The original 16-32 models came with USA-made Leeson drum motors and Von Weise conveyor motors. All the aluminum and galvanized parts were unpainted, with black paint only on the base, stand, and dust hood (2-1/2" outlet). Jet used imported motors and started painting the aluminum parts white and also introduced the white dust cover with a 4" outlet.

Here is a link to an article and a video that shows one of the original Performax models along with one of the early Jet models that shows the visual differences. link
I'm always wrong, but I thought if it said Performax it was USA, and when sold off it then was Taiwan badged as Jet, and others. I have a few friends with OLD ones, and they were USA made. So for sure, they were, and now definitely are again. Also pretty sure it was just name, and the old USA were made different than the Taiwan models, and today they are much different. A 19/38 weighs easily twice an 18/36. There won't be any deflection of the arm on today's Performax, biggest complaint heard on the Jet's
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW