Been a while...
Hi! Been a long time since I posted anything here. Since my wife's passing 4+ years ago, coupled with my first fishing pole (a gift from my daughter that first "No Mom" Father's Day, I've spent money on poles and time out on rivers and lakes. I've hardly been in my shop, could think of no reason to build something. Also hardly have touched my piano or guitars. No one to play for... 

But enough of the sad tale.

Two months ago my granddaughter came up to me at church, telling me she has a lot of jewelry and, could I make her a jewelry box for her birthday (which is Friday). "Sure", I said. Who wouldn't? But, I put it off until two weeks ago.

Got some walnut and bubinga, and began, finally. A simple box, sticky back felt lining the bottom and the bottoms of the trays. But, the chain for the lid?

Nothing I could find locally would work, and ordering a ready-made jewelry box lid chain would take too long. So, I figured I could make the parts holding the chain out of some scrap walnut. They'd need to be small, but last night I proved to myself I could do it. Basically, they are 1/4" square (width/height) by 1 1/4" long pieces, with a mortise through the top/bottom. A hole drilled through the sides of the mortise holds a small brass nail, cut to size. Then two brass screws will mount them to the lid and the inside of the box. Sorry, no pics, as I'm not done yet. 

One thing this whole box build has taught me is that the skills I had have not completely left me. Oh, I made all sorts of mistakes - in dimensions, cuts, glueing. And, I have tried in the past to use hand tools as much as possible. Because of time, I used my TS a lot more than I have in the past. But I can still cut small pieces at the correct angles by hand. I can chisel out a mortise, almost better than before. Cutting in the mortises for the hinges, while frustrating at times, actually worked better than in the past.

Now I've got an inkling of one or two more projects. Whether they actually get built, I don't know. But with rain almost every day I am off work, they just might...
David Dahl

Be still, and know that I am God...
(06-20-2017, 12:30 PM)sawdustdave Wrote: Hi! Been a long time since I posted anything here. Since my wife's passing 4+ years ago, coupled with my first fishing pole (a gift from my daughter that first "No Mom" Father's Day, I've spent money on poles and time out on rivers and lakes. I've hardly been in my shop, could think of no reason to build something. Also hardly have touched my piano or guitars. No one to play for... 

But enough of the sad tale.

Two months ago my granddaughter came up to me at church, telling me she has a lot of jewelry and, could I make her a jewelry box for her birthday (which is Friday). "Sure", I said. Who wouldn't? But, I put it off until two weeks ago.

Got some walnut and bubinga, and began, finally. A simple box, sticky back felt lining the bottom and the bottoms of the trays. But, the chain for the lid?

Nothing I could find locally would work, and ordering a ready-made jewelry box lid chain would take too long. So, I figured I could make the parts holding the chain out of some scrap walnut. They'd need to be small, but last night I proved to myself I could do it. Basically, they are 1/4" square (width/height) by 1 1/4" long pieces, with a mortise through the top/bottom. A hole drilled through the sides of the mortise holds a small brass nail, cut to size. Then two brass screws will mount them to the lid and the inside of the box. Sorry, no pics, as I'm not done yet. 

One thing this whole box build has taught me is that the skills I had have not completely left me. Oh, I made all sorts of mistakes - in dimensions, cuts, glueing. And, I have tried in the past to use hand tools as much as possible. Because of time, I used my TS a lot more than I have in the past. But I can still cut small pieces at the correct angles by hand. I can chisel out a mortise, almost better than before. Cutting in the mortises for the hinges, while frustrating at times, actually worked better than in the past.

Now I've got an inkling of one or two more projects. Whether they actually get built, I don't know. But with rain almost every day I am off work, they just might...
Good for you Dave....I can't believe it has been four years since your bride passed.........time really does fly........
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Nothing beats shop time for having fun. Glad to see you are back in there hacking away and making shavings.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Glad your working, I find great solace in the shop....

Wishing you well,

Andy'

-- mos maiorum
Yes, wishing you better times (though without your best friend)
Gotta learn it sometime, so take your time, enjoy, and make sawdust...
Archie
Wait! You aren't fishing because it is raining? Isn't that the best time to fish? 

Don't blame you. Last year I couldn't fish. Too dry. Too hot for trouts. Salmon season was shut down before we could even start. This year, I weed, hammer on wood, and; I guess the fishing is great. Figures.

Good to hear from you Dave!
Cool
Good to see you back in here Dave!
We will watch for pics of more stuff coming out of your shop.. personally I have had a lot of my aha moments coming after being off for awhile and doing other things.  Sometimes you just have to stop the train and get off for awhile...
Skip