An Exterior Door Project
A follow up on the lockset.  It was made by Craftmen Hardware Company, Ltd.  My client bought it, but I talked with one of their folks (Chris) directly about the details.  We originally bought it with a 2-3/4" backset, but when I laid it out on the door stile after I had it built it didn't look "centered".   The deadbolt is adjustable for both 2-3/4" or 2-3/8" backsets (very clever how it works) so that was OK, but the latch assembly is fixed.  I called up Chris and asked if I could exchange just the latch and he was very accommodating.  We shipped the latch we had back to him and he shipped the 2-3/8" one to us for the cost of shipping.   

John
Great looking door.  That was a challenging project and you nailed it.
We finished installing the trim today.  Here are some follow up photos 

The ADA compliant sill is a simple piece of aluminum extrusion, only 1/4" high:

[Image: P7_FV0K27p545vmwaie1xt4dD8nRbc7Qx3vPIWrx...38-h628-no]

A couple more photos of the automatic door bottom seal.  Here's one at the hinge side showing the side cover, and plunger and the screw in the frame that it hits as it closes.  The plunger can be screwed in and out to adjust how far the seal drops as the door closes.

[Image: THQDIadpvgcKOxrhs3vLMh3vfDIdIWhhB7WdCuiP...38-h628-no]

And here's one showing the seal with the door closed.  It drops down about 1/4" more on the lock side than the hinge side to accommodate the out of level threshold.

[Image: f_y9DfJvs0MXT8h05zkpnpH8r2Y-DScw5fvUiKPm...18-h314-no]

Here's a beauty shot I took in mid morning light of the finished door; much redder in this cloudy light and more its true color.

[Image: zfWseGKAWrGDJ-BqIDKPeB2DYVEzqTLXmbURlJRL...71-h628-no]

The brickmold had to be scribed to the stone which took quite awhile, but the fit was good and after I applied the silicone caulk they look really nice.  We painted the bottoms of the moldings with epoxy for added weather protection, and also used epoxy to glue the top joints.

[Image: fBWPR1Z1LYP5oeoI9C7gDGY2BbZ64mf-CH783UeI...38-h628-no]

Here's the inside after we foamed around the frame and I had installed the right hand piece of trim.

[Image: 3urNssRv92Kpkd0qxQmxiEIBsGr9XgaKloLbBv9m...71-h628-no]

And with all the trim installed it looked like this:

[Image: OkNa2Jyztqj16DPDLbfOsiqoe59e5mtISTIoTXK7...67-h275-no]

This is the original molding that we reused.  This two piece molding style is fairly common in older homes in my area.  I like it a lot.  I don't have a picture, but we had to add a tapered shim on the back of the trim to accommodate the gap between the plumb door and the tilting front wall of  the house.  The owner is a pretty accomplished woodworker herself and has a very nice basement shop that she allowed me to use which made several steps in the installation much easier.  We cut the tapered shims on her TS after making a tapering jig from a piece of plywood.  I still have to fill the nail holes but otherwise it's done. 

The photo above also shows the screws I used to attach the inner molding to the door.  By removing the screws the panels can be removed for refinishing or even replacement should that be necessary. 

And that's a wrap.  This was a really nice project and, like another project I did a few years ago, my client might now be a new friend.  Thanks for following along.  

John
Michelle and I say "Bravo"!  Magnifique!  Ken
Magnificent.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.