DT chisels
Hi Simon

I am not meaning to come across like I am arguing with you - because I agree that one can simply angle a chisel on wider dovetails, that is, where it is possible to do so. On the other hand, if it is possible to purchase bench chisels with minimal lands, then that is the way to go, simply because they make the task easier. There have been many good dovetails pared without them, nonetheless - which makes your point.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Big Grin 
So . . . fat lands brutalizing the sides of my tails and/or pins is what led me to purchase some thinner lands chisels (Ashley Iles). The AI lands are incredibly narrow, and this has definitely made clean up a lot easier. However, when you're a klutz, most any improved tool helps (me).
Gotta learn it sometime, so take your time, enjoy, and make sawdust...
Archie