Artist statement
Sad 
I'm guessing "I make wood stuff to sell" won't go over very well for an artist statement huh?

I was thinking it might make a good thread for those guys that sell be it in galleries, at shows or online to post some of the lessons you've learned. It would help the guys who are starting to sell. Might even help some who have been doing it a while.
Something I have struggled with too. There are several "how to" web pages about how to write a statement but nothing seems to fit. My statement would be much like yours I think. "I just like turning wood". If I have a vision or a mission not sure what it is.
Steve K

I have been asked many times "How do you do that?" My answer is "I didn't do that. God created the beauty in the wood and gave me a small bit of talent to get it out."

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Jim

I am thinking if we want to find out how to sell or the wording then go to the big art sites and see how they word things

I know I would love to be able to sell everything I make and it would be much faster to get our building and business going.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I am in a similar boat, started showing/selling some of my turnings at a local art gallery and they want an artist statement/bio...no idea what to write.
(06-22-2017, 01:54 PM)vernonator Wrote: I am in a similar boat, started showing/selling some of my turnings at a local art gallery and they want an artist statement/bio...no idea what to write.

I did a bio years ago, I didn't struggle with that but it was for a show entry either.  I'm doing a submission for a 2018 show.  On the application it says "Please tell us how your work will bring value to the show." I have to think their will be a few of the younger generation on the judging panel. So I included words and phrases like.

Environmentally friendly
sustainable
natural beauty of the grain

Maybe I'm worrying too much. At the end of the day it will come down to the quality of work and if the judges think it will fit in the show rather than what you write.
What is an artist bio?

An artist biography (or 'artists biog') is usually a short paragraph about you and your career as a practitioner. It may also contain a line about the key themes to your practice. Artists Biographies are often confused with one other tools used for self promotion like artist CVs and artist statements.

How do I write a biography about myself?
  1. Introduce Yourself. Begin the bio by introducing yourself, and always write in the third person. ...
  2. Education and Credentials. List your education after the introduction sentence, including the name of any degrees you have earned and the institution you attended. ...
  3. Notable Achievements. ...
  4. Closing Statement.

Here's a sample of a short artist's bio:
Quote:Phillip Estine is a contemporary abstract painter and part-time curator for the Foo Gallery in Waterloo, ON. He received a MFA Degree from the University of Waterloo, and has participated in over 20 group shows and 10 solo shows in the United States and Canada. He has lived in Toronto, New York, and San Francisco, and is currently residing in Kitchener. His paintings are mostly oil on canvas and his signature work consists of bright, bold colours, with heavily-layered impasto effects.

http://www.artist-statement.com/meet.html

http://www.agora-gallery.com/advice/blog...biography/

http://www.michiyoart.com/bio--artist-statement.html

https://www.artsy.net/article/elena-sobo...rtist-bios

https://renee-phillips.com/how-to-write-...biography/

https://www.mica.edu/Documents/Career%20...tBio11.pdf

https://www.theartleague.org/blog/2015/0...s-we-love/

http://www.artspartner.org/files/all/art...o_info.pdf

and last I think is best

Keep the bio structure short, concise and to the point. A rambling disjointed bio will only confuse or lose the reader all together. Always write the bio in the third person (as if someone other than the artist is writing the bio).

2. Try to write the bio differently 2 or 3 times and then have someone with good writing and communication skills proof the various bios and help you to pull them together into one great bio (there will be different aspects of each bio that are written better than the others).

3. Get an artist(s) who you respect and admire to read your final version and make any suggestions to help improve the final bio. Does this bio reflect you as a person, as an artist and does it accurately describe your art?

4. Finally, after any changes are made as described above, have someone who is an expert in spelling, grammar and sentence structure review and make any necessary changes to the bio.
Keep your bio up to date with any new work, influences and experience that may have changed you, your art and your artistic perspective. Make sure that you have an appropriate and up to date image of yourself that is included with your bio. Also, update the bio on any other websites and art forums where you post and show your artwork as well.
An effective artist’s bio will not sell any art for an artist but it will be information that an artist will need to provide to any interested person and also, it is necessary information and is required for the overall sales process.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
As explained to our club recently, the first step is to eliminate your shop.

The word shop should not exist in your vocabulary when referring to yourself in an artistic venue.

You develop your creations in a studio.

Name your studio and put that on your calling card right under your name.

I know that it can sound pretentious, but I am told that it works.

In your bio, you can talk about your skills developing from craftsmanship to artistic visionary as you evolved your style and insight into the art.

Some folks have also suggested that it might be a positive approach to use sexually ambiguous pronouns in your bio/CV as well.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Here's what I've found selling at shows and one gallery.  I'm not always able to apply these lessons, but I try:

Charge more than you think you should  We routinely underprice our work.  Don't do that.  The more you charge, within reason, the more people will value your work.  And don't negotiate at a show.  The price is the price.

Build your brand  People will pay more for a Maloof chair than for an exact copy, because of the name.  None of us are in Sam's world, but my point is people buy more than the piece, they are buying the entire atmosphere that you are creating.  So, have a quality display, and a good tent, and consistent look from your price tags, to the business cards, to your online presence. 

People buy for the story  If you watch American Pickers, you hear this a lot.  People want the story behind the piece.  "Oh that bowl?  That came from a walnut tree that came down in the flood of 2011." 

Facebook is better than a website  This one took me awhile to learn.  Websites are static, but an engaging Facebook page will draw in new customers and drive them to your website and galleries/shows where you sell your stuff.  You can leverage your personal connections to get to second and third level connections if you post interesting stories, pictures, and videos.  And Facebook advertising is cheap, easy, and effective.

Provide care instructions  People want to know how to clean and care for your pieces.  They want to know if the finish is food safe, even if they aren't directly asking you.  Also, give replacement info for pens.  People want to know they can go to Staples and get a new cartridge when the ink runs out.

Take plastic  Nobody buys with cash anymore.  If you have a smart phone, taking a credit card is dead simple.  Square works great.  There are no monthly fees.  You can't do shows without being able to take cards.
My only .02 regarding an artist statement is to not over think it. the work will speak for the artist.
Ray