Saw dust used to absorb liquids
(06-22-2017, 09:40 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: I toss sawdust and chips on the fire in the grill all the time. The fine dust will burn but its hard to get the mixture just right it usually just smothers the fire and makes nice smoke.

Coarse "chips" like from a circular saw wont fireball, but don't go emptying the dust collector from a large sander into a fire. Finer the dust, the bigger the fireball. 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2mpe3d
google composting toilets. 

I know a number of folks that use my dust for them in place of traditional outhouses.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(06-22-2017, 09:40 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: I toss sawdust and chips on the fire in the grill all the time. The fine dust will burn but its hard to get the mixture just right it usually just smothers the fire and makes nice smoke.

From what I have been led to believe during hours of fire safety classes is the triangle must have 1) Heat 2) fuel and 3) an oxidizing agent or as we commonly call it oxygen. Take any out of the triangle and fire stops. To get that mix in flying wood dust, the fuel, the heat source must be perfect, and having the fire just the correct temp matters here. But the deal breaker is the perfect storm of fuel, and oxygen in perfect amounts, with the fuel perfectly dispersed into the oxygen flow you might get a flash 1 out of 50 attempts.

In an uninsulated barn, heating with a 170,000 BTU salamander heater, going full blast I had been sawing almost non stop on the TS for several hours. The air was completely full of floating dust, and WHAM the entire place 32 x 48 barn, with 10' walls was just engulfed in a fireball, which was gone as quick as it came, because it burned up all of the dust, thus no more fuel. I probably should have needed clean underwear, but I didn't. I had somewhere around 17,000 bd/ft of wood in the barn at the time, but the airborne dust was all that went poof, thankfully. I did quit for the day, and when I got in the house noticed my face was all black, filled with ash, and It turned out my eyebrows didn't stay around.

That night at dinner I told LOML that I thought I needed to do something about heat in the barn. She just turned an eyebrow up and said, big heater not working out too well? CL sold quickly as it was almost brand new. After that experience I understood a lot more about the fire triangle than I had ever known from all of those classes
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Luckyyyyyyy, yes I was.

I do not believe a handful of mixed dust and chips will ever get that correct mix, sure it will burn, but what it won't do is cause that explosive fireball. That truly is a perfect storm, and it would need to be dust, not chips.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(06-22-2017, 03:42 PM)Steve N Wrote: FWIW if sawdust isn't handy, Cat litter works as well as anything else. Due to cost most medic units use litter instead of the much costlier product just for "medical use" All of them will get water or "stuff" with liquid in it, oil, really about any spill will get absorbed, and you can easily sweep, and put it into the trash, or red medical waste bag, whichever is more appropriate.

We use the clay all the time in our factory to absorb the oil.  And then we break the law and simply throw out the litter.

But the litter we use is not sterile and you should not use it for your cats.  It is cheap and absorbent.  

When an old, unused septic tank caved in a number of years  ago the contractor wanted $2,000.00 to back fill because it was accessible with a wheelbarrow only.  

Over the next few years instead of throwing out the spent cat litter, I carried it down the steep slope to the stove-in septic tank and back filled it with the litter.  It was so far from the house that no odor made it to the house.  Eventually the entire septic was filled by an estimated 1,500 pounds of litter and a little top soil.  I have a lot of clay in our soil so the clay and the "organic" matter found a new home.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I knocked a beer out of my shop fridge the other day and it smashed on the floor.
Toss on a couple shovels of sawdust from planer dust collector and let is sit for a while and sweep up...easy peazy
For The Love Of Wood
Sawdust is excellent to mix with partially filled paint cans -it dries then you dispose of it all  legally.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
(06-23-2017, 12:44 PM)paulmaine Wrote: Sawdust is excellent to mix with partially filled paint cans -it dries then you dispose of it all  legally.

Depends where you live. It is so where I am in SW Ohio, but in other areas folks here have said it still must go to a collection station, where funds are passed.
Wink
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(06-23-2017, 10:03 AM)Dara Wrote: I knocked a beer out of my shop fridge the other day and it smashed on the floor.
Toss on a couple shovels of sawdust from planer dust collector and let is sit for a while and sweep up...easy peazy

Alcohol abuse.
Laugh
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
You guys must be living in a "Phone booth" LOL   Horse stall bedding has been wood shavings or wood chips for years. Available at Tractor Supply, Agway and all other similar outlets 40 - 50 Lb. bales.  For "city" folks one bale perhaps shared by a neighbor and stored in a garbage can will last and last. 
Smile
Yes
Yes
Bill B
I was thinking must have been home schooled.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.