Comb Back Windsor
Once in a great while, I actually get to do some woodworking.

Here is a Comb Back Windsor I made at Greg Pennington's School.

Greg is a talented chair maker, and wonderful instructor. I highly recommend him and his school.

http://www.penningtonwindsorchairs.com

I did not do the turnings, Greg supplies those for the class.

Lots of hand tool work!

...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
OK, I thought the pic was kind of small, so I found that the lower right corner can be pulled to make it larger.

However, I can't figure out how to make it stay large, so everyone else can get a better view.

Any suggestions?
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Beautiful work, Martin! Now you just need to make another five or so to complete the set.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
I am planning on one more for each end of the table, and then Hoop Back chairs for the side chairs.

It is a very comfortable chair.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Your chair looks wonderful.
I enjoyed my one Windsor chair building experience. Fun, different, challenging, and most rewarding.
I am sure you experienced the same.
Ag
Great work. The seat looks comfy.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Very nice work.  Is that the entry level project at Pennington's school?
Cool! And, great to read the most important criticism: 'it's comfortable'. Awesome background, too. 

From now on, I will be found pulling that little corner triangle thingy.
Bruce,

Greg does not require chair building experience to build this chair, however, it would help. It is a demanding class.

Having said that, there were 3 of us. One more experienced than me, and one was building his first chair.

The guy building his first chair did just fine.

It is a 6 day class. I am slow, and I finished on day 6 at 2 pm.

The new guy finished late in the evening on day 5.
We did stay late some nights. I would go to dinner for an hour, then come back and work until 9 or 10 pm.

This was my fourth chair. I have built a continuous arm, another comb back at Roy's school, and a writing arm chair.

Greg is the only guy that teaches a writing arm chair, and that class is a little easier than this one, only because you have one less arm knuckle to carve.

Believe it or not, the part that slows me down is the spindles. Lots of draw knife and spokeshave work goes into those small parts.

Greg demonstrates every step of the way, and will give you guidance when you need it.

If you want to build a Windsor, I highly recommend Greg's school. You will have a fun week, and learn a lot.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
(06-22-2017, 05:00 PM)Martin S. Wrote: OK, I thought the pic was kind of small, so I found that the lower right corner can be pulled to make it larger.

However, I can't figure out how to make it stay large, so everyone else can get a better view.

Any suggestions?

This right here was all the help I needed. Thanks for that, and may I say WOW, nice chair. Having just completed a woodworking class with a project LOML dearly loves I hope you had as much fun as I did.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW