Impact Driver?
Need to get a new drill/driver set. Most sets today seem to come with an impact driver rather than the simple driver. I mostly use #8 screws and rarely exceed 11/2" length. I've never used an impact driver and wonder if there is an advantage for the light use I typically give a driver.

Been using a Ridgid 12v set in recent years because of their weight. Most sets today seem to be in the 18-20v range and I haven't done any hands-on shopping to compare weights. Will get a Li-ion model.

Is an impact driver appropriate for me and how about the weight?

Thanks,

Jerry
For doing wood screws (or any smaller screw for that matter)  it's hard to beat the little Milwaukee M12.

Very light and fits well in the bag. When it quits, I'll buy it again.

Mine is at least 5 years old and still working fine. I use it every day at work and in the shop.

I use this one;

[Image: d3d4243f-e339-40f1-bfc2-3f4deb5bb5d8_400_compressed.jpg]

If I need to drill, I use this; [Image: 2a3bb5f6-0e7f-4ce8-b5e9-3e9520da52df_1000.jpg]

There is also this one;

[Image: 85792d32-93ad-42b3-b684-14f5163a24c4_400_compressed.jpg]
Non impact. I have found no need for an impact driver for 1- 2" screws. If you drill proper pilot holes, you won't need an impact driver for even long screws.

I do have an 18v drill for larger work.
Probably not, at least not in my opinion. I've been using Milwaukee M12 drivers for years with mostly #8 screws and haven't had a problem. This year I bought an impact driver to handle some much larger ones for a construction project. I love it, and it was useful for those screws, but I still don't use for normal woodworking stuff. I wanted to stay with Milwaukee (and they do have a 12V impact, I think) but I'm switching my battery tools to Rigid for the warranty stuff. The driver I bought is called the Stealth model (not sure why) but it's an 18V but still quite manageable in terms of weight.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Lowes has their Porter Cable 20volt combo on sale for $99. I have been using PC for a long time and had good luck.
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
Maybe you don't actually need an impact driver for 1-1/2" screws, but they sure drive a lot easier with less chance of breakage or the bit camming out when you use one.  And you can drive self drilling screws without drilling a pilot hole very easily with an impact driver.  I have 12V Hitachi that I really like for light duty cabinet type work, and an 18V Milwaukee for construction type work.  I wouldn't want to be w/o either now that I have them.  

John
Another advantage to an impact over a plain driver is that until the screw bogs down and the hammer action starts it drives much faster.  Once it starts hammering it slows way down.  Thus, you get the job done quicker but you can control depth easier because of the slowing near the end of the drive allows you time to get off the trigger.

I've been using both 12v and 18/20v impacts.  I would not go back to a regular driver.

The smaller 12v is especially handy if you do electrical wiring as it is perfect to tighten wires to outlets and switches.  The hammer action holds the bit onto the screw and you don't need to bear down on it as hard as when using a driver or a screwdriver.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I have a bunch of the m12 toolsincluding several impact drivers and one screw driver. I use impact drivers for all screws, i have only used the screw driver a few times.. 

If you doubt the power of the 12v tools take a look at the new compact m12 drill and impact driver. They are brushless and an inch shorter than the previous models and the impact driver drives screws faster than the compact makita 18v impact driver. 
         The way its going i can see most people making the switch from 18 to 12 as they will soon all be as powerful but way easier to use every day. The m12 tools are my primary tools on jobsites. I only get out my 18v stuff for big stuff which isnt bery often as i drive 4" screws with my m12 drivers.
I recently bought a Bosch combo,drill and impact driver,12V. Love them both,first time I ever used an impact driver for screws,the only way to go.Bought it from Amazon $149,including charger,with free shipping.That was Canadian pricing.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Get the impact driver. You may not need it very often- it will be overkill, but it works. When you really need it, you will be very glad you have it. One negative- it is very easy to over drive screws in wood. You have to develope the right touch

The Milwaukee M-18 drill also operates similar to a driver.  Purchasing a combo pack, drill/driver is your best bet.  
The Milwaukee system 12 or 18 is fabulous!!!
I also use the Bosch Drill/driver set and very happy with this set also.  Once you own both drill and driver set you will be very very very happy!!