Ductless minisplit
I am looking to get a ductless minisplit AC installed in my garage (located in Chicago).  Shop is 20x20x9ish.  Plenty of electrical available.  What is a reasonable price range?

One vendor quoted me $4900 for unit+install which sounds absurd, but I honestly don't know how much nuance is involved in the installation to know if the overhead is worth paying a premium for.  The "This Old House" episode made made it look straight forward.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/how-to/how-...onditioner
I had  one ton unit installed a year ago for about $3400. I got 3 quotes (3 different brands) and the prices were close. Make sure they do a heat loss calculation before quoting, I had one guy walk in and say "you need a 2 ton" without even asking anything about how my shop was built (R20 walls & R40 ceiling). A one ton heats and cools my 28 x 40 x 10 shop nicely here in SC.
I had 2 outside units and 2 hours snide units were nstalled for that price. I use mine for both heat an AC with the Heat being good to -5.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Installation is relatively straight forward
1. appropriated sized/fused power (220) brought to the outside of the wall, near the compressor, outside breaker box installed
2. two inch (if I recall correctly) hole through wall for refrigerant line
3. bracket installed to inside wall to support the inside unit
4. set compressor on support feet or pad
5. install tubing/?cosmetic covers if you wish/wire/hang inside unit
6  get A/C contractor to pump down vacuum, assure no leaks, and release pressurized coolant (which come installed in compressor)
I got a cheap unit online and installed myself.  Got 8 years of flawless service, called it a successful proof of concept (and I am not as poor now), had it professionally replaced with a more efficient and bigger unit.(18000 to 24000btu)   The newer units will efficiently heat down near freezing. I did not get direct heat strips.  I'm good down into the 30F, below that I shut the shop down and stay inside. 
My 24000 high efficient without heat strips, power box already in place cost me about$3500 3 years ago.
fan of mini split for shop, just blow/vacuum out the filter every once in awhile.
Ray
They are pretty straight forward and a diy project for anyone mechanically inclined. Units can be had for around 1k less or more depending on what you get. Its all in the boxes except for a pad or bracket for the condenser. 

Just need a good location that has 220 to the outside unit and you can run the copper,drain and wire inside usually through a 3" hole. You need a good flaring tool as in not a cheapie, vac pump and gauges the rest are regular tools. Now there are units available that have copper lines that have quick connects on the ends so no flaring no pulling a vacuum etc, plug and play. The fittings are from the marine refrigeration field. 

Sizing is variable. You cant size it conventionally because it needs to be able to quick cool and heat. So it needs to be big enough to do that where a house just maintains temp. Also inverter systems are the best and dont have any real drawbacks if you go way oversize as the compressor is variable displacement on many now. In my experience i have never heard anyone complain their AC was too big only complaints that its not big enough.
You can pay 899.95 for a whole system or 1,800.00- for example (not installed). What quality and warranty and service backup do you want?

I'm having great luck with Mitsubishi, but they aren't the cheaper ones and the service reps are very good. If you call for repairs and the tech can't get good guides or help from the manufacture, your sunk.