Siding replacement--dealing with protrusions?
I'm replacing some of the lower courses of siding with new Hardie lap siding. How do I deal with some of the protruding cables and pipes that enter/exit the house through the siding? Things like faucets, AC lineset, electrical, etc. Am I just going to have to cut a notch and butt 2 pieces of siding together around them?

Mods--please move to Home Improvement
(06-24-2017, 04:08 PM)atgcpaul Wrote:  Am I just going to have to cut a notch and butt 2 pieces of siding together around them?

I helped my brother reside his house with hardi plank, and that's how we did it. Electrical boxes, etc we pulled off the wall where we could. He got some paint color-matched to the siding. We primed and painted the cut edges and then caulked the joint. I don't know if that's necessary but all the factory edges are painted.
What you should do is remove hose bibs and cables. Measure and cut for outlets. Lift EMT, electrical panels, and similar. But it's not always practical. I'm guessing you will split the siding and end up with more seams.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry