Need a decent chopsaw
Not really for woodworking, but looking for something that won't break the bank, to cut up to 1/4" steel about 2" wide.

I have to fabricate a few brackets and some of the parts will be about 1" wide. Not sure what units safely cut smaller pieces either.

Will be for occasional use, so a box store unit would be fine.

Looking for opinions on the saw and best blades to use.....thanks.
Big sky tools has a Hitachi 14 inch cut off saw grade c reman for 80 bucks I have one does the job lot easier than a hack saw
If you want something for small parts like you mentioned a chopsaw is a poor choice. A handheld bandsaw would be a much better option. Milwaukee has an M12 cordless that is a dream to use and has a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 capacity. Even the HF corded version is surprisingly well thought of. A bandsaw will cut aluminum or brass equally well, something that an abrasive saw won't do. Really the only place the bandsaw falls down is hardened steel and some cast irons. Bandsaw doesn't produce the shower of sparks or stinking black boogers that a chopper does either. For that matter you could cut those parts with a proper cutting disc in an angle grinder which is far more versatile than a chopsaw.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(06-25-2017, 03:28 PM)oakey Wrote: Big sky tools has a Hitachi 14 inch cut off saw grade c reman for 80 bucks I have one does the job lot easier than a hack saw

I was thinking a Harbor Freight cutoff saw but they're $80 and up. I'd have more confidence in Hitachi.
You can't go wrong with Hitachi. My uncle got one and it really does the job.
I would also reccomemd the m12 bandsaw. Its my favorite cordless tool. Abrasive chop saws are becoming old timer tech like using a grinder instead of the more modern faster belt grinder. Bandsaws leave a much better cut and dry cut metal saws leave an even better cut and can cut very fast and very thick stuff. Take a look at the saws at sawblade.com they have a small saw thats very good and you can cut wood with it as well.
(06-28-2017, 08:02 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: I would also reccomemd the m12 bandsaw. Its my favorite cordless tool. Abrasive chop saws are becoming old timer tech like using a grinder instead of the more modern faster belt grinder. Bandsaws leave a much better cut and dry cut metal saws leave an even better cut and can cut very fast and very thick stuff. Take a look at the saws at sawblade.com they have a small saw thats very good and you can cut wood with it as well.

Robert, you know I would try one if they had 18 volt, but I just can't see that being a muscle champ on 12v. Last Christmas I looked at one at?? Either Lowes or HD on black Friday, and it just wouldn't jump in my cart. Same money in 18v and I would have gotten it.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
They do have 18v but it's a much bigger capacity machine. How much muscle do you want?  I'll do a trial with mine later tonight. I should have some scrap material around, maybe 1 1/2 by 3/16 angle. I know I've made a dozen or more cuts in 3/4 SS all thread rod in one go before.
Blackhat

Didn't have a piece of angle handy but I found a piece of 3/4" sch 40 black steel gas pipe. Pulled an XC battery off the charger and checked the blade. Blade wasn't new but had lots of life in it. Still does. Halfway through cut number 19, the battery was done. For reference, that pipe has a wall thickness of about an 1/8" and a circumference of just over 3". Pretty decent performance for a tool in that size and weight class.
Blackhat

(06-28-2017, 10:29 PM)blackhat Wrote: Didn't have a piece of angle handy but I found a piece of 3/4" sch 40 black steel gas pipe. Pulled an XC battery off the charger and checked the blade. Blade wasn't new but had lots of life in it. Still does. Halfway through cut number 19, the battery was done. For reference, that pipe has a wall thickness of about an 1/8" and a circumference of just over 3". Pretty decent performance for a tool in that size and weight class.

Yup. Its really impressive. Everyone laughed at me when i got mine. They all said you cant cut 4" pipe with that.. Then they realized what it could do and how much easier of a tool it is to use that they started borrowing mine... It cuts allot faster than you think it would. 

Keep an eye out on cpo milwaukee. They have refurbished ones for just over $100 with one or two big batteries. I bought mine as a refurb and have had not a single issue for 4 years. A blade will last me several restaraunt builds and remodels.