Sheet Rock Plaster
As mentioned in a earlier post, I'm having to cover up 3 florescent lights in the kitchen ceiling. Putting in the SR, no big trouble, But I'm struggling with mudding the joints. Any pro help with the mud AND the texturing will be appreciated. The current texture I have to match is a very  very low profile. It appears they might have dapped it with a sponge. Is that a technique or each his own?
Jim
I hate texture... What i do is just go ahead and skim coat it all and get rid of the texture. Some guys can get close to matching but you can still pick it out. I'd like 5 minutes in a dark alley with the guy that textured the walls in our house... Same with the guy that thought furring strips on the ceiling were a good idea...
I have had reasonably good results with mud-based textures.  Sanded textures, not so much.

Our house in Utah had textures where they would put blobs up and then flatten them.  In my estimation, I matched that perfectly.  In most cases, perfection isn't really required, people will not see it until you point it out to them.-

I am trying to work up the courage to skim coat some of the ceilings. I got started in the master bath, it does look a lot better. I want to do the upstairs hallway, but some of it is over the stairs at a ridiculous height, so I'll have to get around that somehow.
You will never exactly match the hand of another. That said you might get close. Practice on scrap drywall or plywood.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I had trouble mudding with the pre-mixed stuff.  It is mixed way too stiff.  I now use the powder and mix it myself.  I mix it thick enough so that I can scoop it up with the spreader, but just barely.  It then spreads easily and smoothly.  

If you look closely at the online videos you will get an idea how thick this should be mixed.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-30-2017, 01:35 PM)Cooler Wrote: I had trouble mudding with the pre-mixed stuff.  It is mixed way too stiff.  I now use the powder and mix it myself.  I mix it thick enough so that I can scoop it up with the spreader, but just barely.  It then spreads easily and smoothly.  

If you look closely at the online videos you will get an idea how thick this should be mixed.

With the premix you have to ad water even for normal bedding