Magnets
I'm turning a piece with a magnet inside. Are magnets the same or different degrees of power if on a side, end or flat positions to stick to a metal surface. Played with it some and could not see much change just easier to get a hold of.
I think it is a "force", so the magnet isn't stronger on a flat or edge, it will just have more surface area in contact, thus providing more force per sq in.
There is no difference in the north south power on them.  The only difference is were the magnet or rare earth magnet has its power.  If they are flat and round then the power is on the flat sides if they are long and round or even long and square then the power on the ends.  It is very easy to test tho if you put the ends or sides together you will also find the north south sides and make sure you glue them in the right way to.
You will not get them to stick if two south sides go together they will force each other apart
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
And I have some that are rods with the attraction along the sides. These are used in the "as-seen-on-TV" magic screens, which do work as advertised, BTW,.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
I use the ones out of old hard drives. Very powerful. Mostly too powerful.
As Carolyn said.  Magnets can be all over the place you just have to make sure the north south sides are going with each other.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Micro-wave ovens have 2 donut shaped magnets, Very strong, and can be interesting to tear the oven apart to get them.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
(06-26-2017, 10:34 AM)gear jammer Wrote: I'm turning a piece with a magnet inside. Are magnets the same or different degrees of power if on a side, end or flat positions to stick to a metal surface. Played with it some and could not see much change just easier to get a hold of.

Curious as to what you're doing as I've done some turnings with magnets in them, never heard of anyone else doing that. Anyway, K&Jmagnetics is your friend and can answer any question you might have.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/categories.asp
Steve K