What is a durable but natural looking finish for a Walnut dining table?
Hi folks,

I know this kind of question has been asked a thousand times, but I have to ask because my head is awash with different opinions from trawling the internet looking for the right wood finish.

I am making a Walnut dining table, and when I come to finish it, I need a finish that is two things...
1. Durable: as it's a dining table, it will get wear and tear. Ideally I don't want to be in a situation where it needs to be refinished/repaired again and again.
2. Natural looking: that looks as if the timber is bare and unfinished (or as close to this as possible with commonly available products). I don't mind if the timber colour becomes a little richer, but I don't want the surface to have any kind of sheen, or apparent film layer.

My understanding is this...
Wax is not an option because of its durability - it's susceptible to wear and also moisture.
I've used water-based matt varnish in the past, but it leaves a plasticky look to the surface. I've read that thinning the varnish and applying just a couple of thin coats will give a less plastic look - any thoughts on this?

So, I'd appreciate suggestions about what products would achieve this type of finish - please let me know what kind of experience you've had with what you're suggesting!

Many thanks,

Andy.
I don't have a solution that meets the criteria, but I'll offer this: varnish (oil based) will probably be as durable as anything though some of the waterborne finishes are very good as well. I've never tried (or even heard of) a water based varnish, so I've have no input on that. Back to the oil based varnish, if you skip the urethane formulas and go with an alkyd resin version (Pratt and Lambert 38 or SW Fast Dry Oil Varnish) they have a very different appearance, not at all plastic....at least not to my eyes. The plastic look comes from a finish that's applied way to thick, and with the urethane resins just gets that appearance. The waterborne finishes will have acrylic resins and sometimes have a tint to mimic oil based. If you get one without the tint it will be water clear, and that may be what you want. I prefer to give the walnut a coat f BLO, let it dry and then top coat; usually with an oil based varnish but I have used Target Coatings products on t and liked the appearance. The BLO gives a very dark color which I like.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
You can't have the wood look bare and have high durability.  In order to protect the wood you have to put something on it that protects it and is thick enough that water, etc. can't get through it.  Probably the best you can do is to use an oil/varnish mix, like 1/3 mineral spirits, 1/3 BLO, and 1/3 oil based varnish of your choice.  Slop it on, let it sit 5 or 10 minutes, then wipe it completely off.  Do that 2 or 3 times 24 hours apart and that's it.  It won't be nearly as durable as a varnish film finish, but it will offer a moderate amount of protection and give you the tactile feel you're after.  Repairs are easy; clean, sand any areas needing it, and apply a new coat or two.  

To get a matte finish use satin sheen varnish in the last coat of your mix.

John