Metal chop saw for masonry?
I've got a Makita 2414 cutoff saw. I see there are 14" masonry blades that fit its arbor. Anyone have experience using one of these for masonry vs. metal cutting purposes?

One of these:

[Image: mP7_AI-Zx9B0vt6BkzXBvxw.jpg]
I've used a circular saw to cut masonry. I wouldn't use a chop saw unless I didn't care about the chop saw, or it was specifically designed to cut masonry dry. There's a reason most masonry saws are wet saws, there's a tremendous amount of dust. The circular saw still ran after I used it, but it sounded horrible. the dust ruined the guts. It was ok, it was a HF special. the only tool I'd use for masonry dry is an angle grinder since it throws the dust out away from the motor (mostly).
OK, about what I'd figured. Thank you.
While I have seen it done, the dust is incredible!  Brick saws have TEFC motors and water pumps to negate the dust issue. 

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I cut some granite countertop with a circular saw and diamond blade, used my el cheapo B&D saw and there was lots of dust; it still works, but I had to blow it out several times with compressed air.  I can imagine masonry would be much worse.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Last time I cut expansion joints in concrete, my cement guy let me use his circ. saw, "you can't hurt it anymore than I do".

"It's disposable"  
Laugh

IMO, don't do it.

Ed
I sure as heck wouldn't use that saw but here is a little tip.
Watch the harbor freight ads.  They put there saw on sale for $50.00 fairly often.  Go buy a decent diamond blade and cut away.  I bought one 12 years ago. Cut all my brick.  Used it to cut the hardie plank for my shop.  Loaned it to at least 3 people to cut brick, hardie, landscape blocks, and who knows what else.  I then used it for more landscape stuff.  It is still fine but I think I got my monies worth out of it if it croaks the next time I use it.
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)
I ain't an expert on the subject, but the first question I'd have is how much torque can the saw can handle before risking irreversible damage? The second is what is the saw worth to me? I would find my decision between the two questions.
Ray
I have a 7-1/4" DeWalt worm drive that always has a diamond blade in it. Because of the dust, I always use it "wet". On small jobs like cutting a marble threshold to length, I just drill a small hole in a water bottle cap and squirt under the guard at the back of the blade while cutting; not enough to make a real mess, just enough to keep the dust in a slurry. Been using the same saw for over five years and outside of the rusty blade bolt and washer, it cleans up nice.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"