Need recommendations
Pfeil carving tools are awesome, but priced accordingly. Ashley Iles are more affordable and quite well made. Henry Taylor is good too. For occasional use, either would be a reasonable choice.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Not  sure how long a cove you are trying to form, but I would use hollows and rounds for cuts similar to what you pictured.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

George,
Hollows and rounds work well for the drawer fronts and are a great option if you have them. If he can't find antique ones he can pick up a set of Japanese style hollow and round planes on fleabay for about $100. I don't know how good they are but I have a few of the Lee Valley Japanese hollow and round planes and they work well. For the inside corners of the moldings and drawer dividers you will have to use carving tools. You can get by with chisels and scrapers too. You will just need to remove the bulk of the material with your chisels and grind a scraper to the profile you need. I use this method a lot to scrape moldings and it is very effective.
(07-02-2017, 01:09 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: George,
 Hollows and rounds work well for the drawer fronts and are a great option if you have them. If he can't find antique ones he can pick up a set of Japanese style hollow and round planes on fleabay for about $100. I don't know how good they are but I have a few of the Lee Valley Japanese hollow and round planes and they work well. For the inside corners of the moldings and drawer dividers you will have to use carving tools. You can get by with chisels and scrapers too. You will just need to remove the bulk of the material with your chisels and grind a scraper to the profile you need. I use this method a lot to scrape moldings and it is very effective.

At this point I was going to say I don't even know what  Hollows and rounds are. I'm a complete neophyte @ this carving tool business.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.as...at=1,41182

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12pcs-High-quali...Sw-jhUAWJV
(06-26-2017, 07:41 PM)ruffcutt Wrote: The book is "Building Period Furniture" by Glen Huey

Pfeils then for sure.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW