Shellac for fisnish on coffee table
Is shellac a durable enough finish for a coffee table?  I will be spraying on the finish.  I will be using Zinsser, would you use the regular clear shellac or the Seal Coat and would you thin it any?  Thanks
Not to me it isn't. I have 2 end tables I finished with only shellac, and I'll be redoing them later this year. The damage from glasses of whatever, spills of sorts, and other stuff I'm unaware of has created some really unsightly spots. luckily, shellac is easy to repair, but after i do so I'll be topcoating it with (probably) an oil based varnish. I suspect your coffee table will see similar use, and at our house it also has to put up with my feet....since I see them as a footrest. Now for the other end, I have a coffee table (different set) that was varnished. I think I made it maybe 12 years ago or so, anyway the finish on that is holding up beautifully with the abuse I described above. The reason I went with shellac on those end tables was that they are made of cherry, and shellac is one of my favorite finishes on cherry. The table, though, is QSWO with no stain, just the varnish.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I would never use shellac as the top coat on any surface that was likely to have a glass of anything set on it.  Shellac is very susceptible to water and alcohol stains.  Lacquer is resistant to water, but not alcohol.  For me, polyurethane (or some form of varnish) is best for a functional table top finish.  It can be sprayed, but I prefer to wipe it or brush it.
Bob