Alternatives to Plumbing Unions?
Imo unions suck...  If you want a plumbing one that will seal chuck it in a lathe and carve an o-ring groove in it. I dont know why the ones for plumbing dont have this already but super high end unions for high pressure stuff are either machined veey well or have o-rings.
(06-27-2017, 07:48 PM)crokett™ Wrote: If I use a Fernco, I'm not sure I'm worried about it not leaking. I also no longer have  a tablesaw.  
Smile  Mostly I want something that's less fussy than the unions.  I think I broke this one, or at least weakened the joint so it loosened over time.  They don't turn all that easily and I use a pretty big pipe wrench, it's the only thing I have large enough that will fit on them.

My thought wasn't so much about it leaking, but rather slipping.

I just figured if this is going outside in direct sunlight, that the Fernco (being black) could absorb enough heat to get the PVC quite warm.  Now when you add the clamping pressure of the hose clamp, I'd imagine it would be possible to deform the PVC to the point where it is capable of slipping out of the Fernco.

Just a dumb thought, probably not worth the time it took you to read it.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
There are 1.5" Sharkbite couplers available.
I hate plumbing. this morning on my way to work I picked up both a Fernco and a new union and the parts I though I'd need to put one or the other in. Something was bugging me so I dug up a picture of the existing plumbing. Some day I'll learn that when you are placing, say, a union on a 15" or so inch run between 2 other fittings, it's better to put it somewhere in the middle rather than close to one of the ends. That way there's enough pipe left if for some reason you have to cut the union off. So, now I'm stuck with using a union and just replacing the leaking side, but I don't remember if the existing is from Lowes or HD. They use different manufacturers and I already know the 2 aren't compatible. With my luck since I went to HD this AM, it'll be a union from Lowes. I'll also find some lubricant for the threads. Hopefully the new union won't leak.
So I fixed the leak, it went more smoothly than I expected. I ended up replacing half the union. Ian, thanks for the suggestion on the thread sealant. It never occurred to me to use it as a lubricant. I was able to get the union tight by hand. Come fall we'll see if it stays flexible, as the bottle says....
As far as a Fernco in the sun getting the pipe too hot,  if the pipe remains full of water it would never get that hot and I doubt it would get too hot without water.    It seems like the combo of pool water and the sun will deteriorate the plastic after several years.      Remember to use a pipe dope made for plastic .        Roly
For pool work, really, common PVC unions are best. One should never have a leak at the glued interface. Its no different than any other pvc fitting. My unions never leak (Yeah, I should go check, huh?
Smile ) If outdoors, white PVC is not UV resistant and should be painted or covered.

If you have fittings that are flying when the chlorinator is removed make a short pipe with unions as a spacer for the winter. Intellichlor makes one for their products, so I have a pre-made one. This makes the attached piping structurally sound while the chlorinator is not used. Also useful if you ever have to send the chlorinator is sent out for repair.

I also keep a few fittings in stock for repairs. Seems to appease the plumbing gods.

Fernco are not designed for pressure and should not be used. That said, I have three fernco connectors on my main spa control valve as its impossible to do otherwise and the valve has a high failure rate. Seems to work fine.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
LIL:

One of the things I have done when faced with your situation is to use _two threaded PVC unions_ if you put all the parts together (use glue to thread on the inlet and outlet) then make up a centerpiece in the same manner then put it all together then you can replace whatever fails easily by removing the center piece, unthreading the failed part it and replacing it. buy 4 complete unions and you are good to go for years.

JME
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy