State of the wood market?
I haven't wood shopped since the 'Great Pre-Marital Wood Buying Binge of 1998'.  Hopped over to Gilmer today because boring conference call.  I was surprised at what I did not see.

Have the big trees globally all been logged out?  Or has Gilmer just changed their mode from Boards to bowl blanks?
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Walnut has been in short supply around here this Spring as has decent Cherry.  The vendors don't seem to know when or if they will be getting more in either.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
I did a big buy after the 2008 crash.  I have not looked lately, but the prices I am seeing on Craigs List are 4 to 8 times what I paid then.  To be fair, in 2008, the prices on Craigs list were double what I paid direct from the mill.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I see plenty of boards and slabs on their website

Of course I would push bowl blanks if I was them for online Easy to ship and price high
Wood is a local, regional, or a shipped from far away product. If you are fortunate enough to live where the trees grow you usually can get what you normally can about any time. In Ohio Ash is down due to Ash borer, and we are past the initial glut on the market. There are some that bought really cheap, and are hoarding like you never will ever see it again (think Chestnut) South of us I don't know how heavy Ash was/is, but there is still some South, and if they have much Ash there will be a glut anywhere the bugs to, and kill off the trees, so for some years you can still get it, just might not be local. Walnut has been affected by Thousand Cankers disease, and I think it must be spotty, because I have not had issues sourcing Walnut, and prices have been pretty stable here.

Probably a lot of the absence of wood at Gilmer may be a lot of the woods that got reallllllllllly popular, are becoming illegal to import, because the third would countries they came from offered nothing in conservation. Interesting read about that As we know the USA has a tendency to do things with some modicum of conservation, and we usually agree to rules governing such things. Asia, maybe not so much.....

There is a ton of info online, if you named a species, I'm certain you could track it to see why it is no longer available to you, or at least in your local area.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(06-28-2017, 08:23 AM)gMike Wrote: Walnut has been in short supply around here this Spring as has decent Cherry.  The vendors don't seem to know when or if they will be getting more in either.

On walnut, its been that way for 6-7 years. 

Youngbloods has plenty of decent cherry. Just took 300' out last week. Cherry isn't hard to find. 
Confused

Agreed on Gilmer. They have really changed to posting smalls and blanks. I bet if you call them, they can get you larger boards. The world hasnt been logged out....
Big Grin

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Asia:  drove from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur recently.  Half a dozen times I darn near drove off the road into the shoulder while rubber necking these lumber yards full of "wide thick rusty red I wish I could bring that 1000 bdft back in my carry on".
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished