Please help with finish on cutting board not being used as a cutting board
I have a small kitchen, were counter space is limited. It’s fine if it’s just me cooking but if I have anyone over for say grilling. I put a wood cutting board that is big enough to cover all the burners, so I then have a little more counter type space. My question is I don’t think it’s finished and definitely not finished for what I am doing with it. Sometimes I sit a hot pan on it like a coaster. Other times I set the serving try there and someone drips bar-b-que sauce on it, which left a little stain. I need to know how to finish it so it doesn’t stain and can still have a hot pot set on it so the counter doesn’t burn. HELP!!
The stains don't really hurt anything other than aesthetics, but if you want to help prevent them and still be able to use it as a cutting board and set a hot pan on it, then the easiest thing to put on it is mineral oil.  Slather it on until it won't take anymore, then wipe it dry.  Repeat often.  The next higher level of protection  that you can still cut on/put a hot pan on is to dissolve paraffin wax in the mineral oil.  The easiest way to do that is to put some mineral oil in a old soup can and put that in a pan with water.  Heat that on your stove at low heat.  Add some paraffin wax to the oil and stir until it dissolves in the warm mineral oil.  How much?  I don't know, maybe 2 parts oil to 1 part wax.  After it has all dissolved, slather that on your cutting board, and keep it warm with a heat gun or blow drier.  When it won't absorb anymore, scrap off the excess and buff it with a towel.  Repeat often.  The next higher level of protection that you can still cut on/put a hot pan on doesn't exist.  

John
I slap some lemon oil wax on all my cutting boards. It has beeswax in it so it affords a small amount of protection and it super simple to apply.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I have a set of Brazilian rosewood trivets that are about 13 years old and they've seen substantial use in our kitchen. These were finished with tung oil (I don't recall the brand) and they have held up excellent. I'd have to look at them real close again but I don't think there's been any signs of wear. Brazilian rosewood is also a very hard and oily wood which makes it a good candidate for trivets, IMO.

You sure you didn't mean Bolivian rosewood? Brazilian rosewood at approx $200 / bd ft doesn't make sense to me to use it for a cutting board or trivets.
I finished the butcher block in my kitchen with four coats of  oil based poly.  One year later and it still looks new.  No maintenance so far.  If I feel I need to, I can scuff it up and apply another coat or two at some later date.

I used this same finish on tables for the local Starbucks and they retired the tables in good shape after 10 years of heavy commercial use.  I will use it far less.

I don't cut on it though.  Much less maintenance if you are just using it as a counter.  I have plastic cutting boards that I use for cutting (and I throw them in the dishwasher).  I find that is a much more sanitary way to go.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Brazilian cherry or Jatoba. My mistake.

jatoba is one of my frequently used woods for cutting boards; cheap and very tough.