Looking for a Bowl Adze
My latest uncontrollable urge is to make bowls using hand tools.
I have some of the basic tools but need good bowl adze.
Anyone have one they aren't using they want to sell or trade. I have many chisels, wood turning tools, and other woodworking stuff I could swap if cash doesn't do it for you.
Specifics and pictures would make this happen quickly.
Ron
ronkanter At g mail dot com
Jason Lonon here in North Carolina makes some of the best.
http://www.jasonlonon.com/
Thanks for the tip.
I had found his site recently but didn't have any reference to know how good his tools are. Given that his price for an adze is roughly the same as getting one by Karlsson, I wasn't about to buy an unknown tool over what is often considered the best available. As a newbie to bowl carving, I am not in a position to judge on my own.
Do you have one of his adzes? What is your opinion?
Thanks again,
Ron
I don't own an adze from Jason, but I used one once. It's as fine a tool as you can buy. I took a bowl carving class with Peter Folensbee and one of the students owned it.

I own 2 adzes and a hatchet made by John Swizer/Blackbeard Forge, located in Colorado. I know he's got a web page and is also on Instagram. Again, some of the best tools you can buy.

I tweeked the cutting angles on all of mine, but they come ready to use. John does a great job of polishing his edges.

You'll be happy with either. I prefer both of them over swedish makers, just because they're​ local craftsman.
David,
Thanks for the suggestion. Took me a minute to find him because his company name is Black Bear, the animal, rather than Blackbeard, the pirate.
Looks good and I definitely agree with you about supporting local craftsmen.
Could you tell me more about why/which two adzes you have and the tweaks you made to the cutting angle.
If this is not appropriate for this forum, a PM would be fine or direct email to ronkanter@gmail.com
thanks again,
Ron
(07-01-2017, 07:44 AM)Herebrooks Wrote: Jason Lonon here in North Carolina makes some of the best.
http://www.jasonlonon.com/

Bill,

Thanks for that link.  Have you ever tried one of his Twca Cams?  I've been lusting after one from Nic Westerman, but would love to by one made locally.

Steve
Ron, I have a small bowl adze, hewing hatchet, and drawknife from Jason and his tools are outstanding. I recommend him completely. Your biggest challenge will be getting the tools as he is a busy guy and his tools go quickly.

Kevin
My apologies for the pirate chase, Ron. Stupid auto correct. I should invent one that writes what I want, instead of what it thinks I want!

On the hatchet, I ground down some of the mass behind the bevel. This allows me to chop a little straighter, up and down wise.

For the bowl adzes, I did pretty much the same thing, so I could chop a little steeper. Once my daughter and I get home from fishing tomorrow, I'll sketch something and email it to you.
Hey Steve: I know Jason quite well and have worked with him at the college(Warren Wilson College). He's very particular in what he makes and takes input from accomplished craftsmen to refine his toolmaking. He is also a green woodworker so he understands what the tool must do to preform. Any of his tools that I either own or have used exceed my expectations. He has one particular guarantee that if you are not happy with the tool you can return it.
Thanks Bill,

I think I see a Twca Cam in my future.

Steve