Command-Strips experience?
Anyone use a "mess" of Command-Strips to mount projects to a wall?

I'm talking like a dorm room where no conventional fasteners are allowed.

The buildings and grounds people swear by the things, I've never actually used them so I'm a little skeptical.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
A few years ago at Christmas, LOML had a wreath she wanted to hang on the inside of the front door so she went out and bought a boatload of Command Strips Initially she tried one that was just too small, instant fail. Then she moved up to the ones linked here. They said 24" x 36" "Frames" I assumed picture frames, which would mean around 10 to 15 pounds if you consider most frames also have glass, matting, etc, etc. Wasn't until her 1 1/2 pound wreath (it was literally just a bough, curled end to end, no adornment) Well anyhow it fell in about 2 minutes. Recleaned the door, reapplied, and fail, fail, fail. After the third fail, she read the package, 4# working limit. I really don't think we were close to 4#, but they didn't work.

She went out and bought some stick on, NO NAME plastic hooks, they weren't flush, they stuck out and had a formed hard plastic shell. At the end of Christmas I took the wreath down, and applied gentle pressure and it just pulled away, left some residue, used some peanut butter on it overnight, next morning wiped away the leftover sticky goo and can't see any difference in the doors color. I am not sure about brand name, but they looked like these guys right here There was hardly any info on the package about weight, loads, etc. Just clean surface and apply. We have used those for the last few Christmas seasons, no problemo. She has to buy some new ones for this next year, won't be command strips.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Our experience is the same as Steve's - lots of failures and when they did occasionally hold - removal was not easy or damage free.  I would not recommend command strips to anyone.

Rick
Rick

I've had good results with command hooks and I've seen some heavy duty ones on which people hang heavy winter coats.
Just follow the directions.
One caveat though. They are no stronger than the paint underneath. The couple failures I have witnessed were with the paint peeling off, not the adhesion of the command hook itself.
Ray
In the past, putty was the best "no damage" product out there, IMO.

However, in our new elementary school they used some type of epoxy paint that stuff won't stick to, easy clean, etc.

Command Strips seem to be the only product that will stick.

Price wise, I'd try the putty first.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(06-29-2017, 10:15 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Anyone use a "mess" of Command-Strips to mount projects to a wall?

I'm talking like a dorm room where no conventional fasteners are allowed.

The buildings and grounds people swear by the things, I've never actually used them so I'm a little skeptical.

If it is like my dorm room walls so many years back, which were painted cinder block, then I would be OK with it.

The university might offer some guidance on this issue.  Try Googling "university+picture hanging+ dorm"
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have used them.  Like others said, the surface you are applying it to likely makes a difference.  I generally clean the surface, apply the strip, applying pressure for about 60 seconds, for better adhesion.  I then do not hang anything on them for an hour or two.  I am not sure if that makes a difference, but it makes sense to me. 

I have never tried to hang anything more than one or two pounds (clock, large picture).  So far, I have not had a failure.  My walls are all flat or semi-gloss paint over plaster (real plaster) and wall board.  I also have used them on the inside of the cupboard doors.  They are commercial cabinets - whatever they use to finish them with.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Not surprisingly there are several alternatives listed for this at Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor...t9rvagoh_b
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
My wife used it also and it did not work right off and then I used double stick tape and it works much better.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Well I didn't say, but the door was less than 1 year old, paint was good, and after no loss or degredation of paint, or did I already say that? Actually what I said before was after taking off the NO NAME hook I used PB to clean off the gluey smudge, door was good, paint was good, Command strip product was crap.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW