Command-Strips experience?
A 16 penny nail technically isn't "conventional".  Did you read; "abnormal" in the contract?  
Cool

The smoother the surface, the better they hold- so I'm told.
Okay, well this room has conduit wrapping around nearly the entire perimeter at almost the ceiling, and it is rock solid.  I pulled on it with at least 75-pounds of pull and it didn't budge.

So I'll just clamp onto that.

I don't have much weight, two items not even ten pounds each.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
Indoors, smooth surface, not problem.  I've had one in my shower holding a shower caddy with probably over 5 lbs of stuff in there, and it's not failed in over 10 years.  Outside, were the temps get below freezing, you have to use the Command Strips that are rated for outdoor use.  Otherwise, at lower temps, they won't hold.  You should also wait 1 hour before adding any weight to the hook.  Otherwise, it'll fail.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I like the red backed double stick foam tape and a holder of your choice.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I needed a similar solution in a room where there was a hung ceiling.  I picked up a roll of ribbon from the fabric shop (my wife's stash).  I slide the ribbon between the wall and the aluminum angle and rolled the top of the ribbon around a dowel with some glue.  I could then fasten whatever I wanted to the ribbon.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
It does make a difference if you don't hang anything on them right away. I have had much better luck that way, and it is recommended in the directions.
shifty