Covers/doors for crawl space access
So... trying to work around some stuff left by the last home owner... access to the crawl space behind a knee-wall, and a built-in safe.  Previously 'concealed' by a big built-in wrap-around desk unit, its now open and exposed and... a pain in my behind.  

Originally I'd planned on having some inset bead-board panels... but that hasn't worked out so well.  Thought about doing some hinged doors, either inset or overlay, but that dang dry-wall doesn't give me a very secure mounting surface, unless I drive *long* screws all the way thru the trim, drywall, and into the studs... and even then, I'm a little less than confident in those two outer layers.

Any ideas/suggestions?
for access to the attic space behind the kneewalls in my upstairs I framed door openings and used cut down Habitat for Humanity doors.  I did custom casing and trim around the openings for a finished look.  It looks like you're already there with the framing. that might not work for that safe though.
Am I missing something, or is there no easy/good way to hang doors without cutting back the drywall and putting in solid wood casing for attachment?  The white trim there now is just primed MDF, over the top of drywall.