Router question - tray with raised panel bit?
Didja try full thickness when you went at it? I'd definitely try to relieve as much stock first as possible, either routing steps with a straight cutter bit, angled TS blade, something to remove the bulk, the cut geometry on those bits just isn't for huge stock removal, not too bad on the edge of something so the idea of doing 1/2 half x 2, then joining the result might work.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(07-01-2017, 07:20 PM)deancruse Wrote: Hello everyone! I'm trying to figure out how to make a tray that gradually angles out from the center to the sides - sort of a shallow tray that be used for serving food/snacks. Longish and slender - approximately 6 x 18 and 3/4 thick. I don't want to use a bowl bit and a template because I don't want a 90 degree side - more like 20 degrees or so from the bottom.

I could use gouges and scoop it out, but I plan on making a series of these for gifts and would prefer an approach with a bit more scale.

I thought I'd try a raised panel bit (without a bearing) on my router table with a fence and hollow out the tray. But, it seems dangerous and I would be taking out a ton of material with a big piece of steel. See the attached pic for the panel bit I had in mind.

Any ideas?

I've got a 7HP overhead pin router I'll sell ya.
Winkgrin
Weighs about 2000#. Make a holder real similar to what you have in that pic and it will work.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020