Foot switch for Router
(07-03-2017, 06:36 PM)Steve N Wrote: The alternative to both of these is a big old (see below) mounted up where it is already right next to your hands, when they are on the tool.

[Image: s-l300.jpg]

Steve, a trigger on the handle is a better solution.  That is what I mentioned in my OP.  Mike pointed out that I can get a "D" handle base with the trigger in the handle, which is a cheaper solution than buying the Bosch combo, which I also mentioned in my OP.  I do have one of the switches you reference on the router table, but not on the handheld version.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I wouldn't advise it.
I use two types of foot switches on router equipment.

On/Off for the router table and momentary for a dovetail/hand held.

I started with PC routers and found the foot switches mean I can keep both hands on the router or the stock.

I tried the On/Off on the hand held and was not happy with the process. Probably all in my head, but the momentary type just seems better.
(07-06-2017, 12:23 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: I wouldn't advise it.

All the big industrial tools I have worked with have setups that prevent machine activation unless BOTH hands are out of the way.  Good policy.  A "Kick to Kill" I could support, but not to control.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(07-14-2017, 02:05 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: All the big industrial tools I have worked with have setups that prevent machine activation unless BOTH hands are out of the way.  Good policy.  A "Kick to Kill" I could support, but not to control.

An example of this hand activated switch for home owners use would be deeply appreciated by many members here. Perhaps you can provide a link?

OSHA makes many statements like "woodworking machine setups that prevent machine activation unless BOTH hands are out of the way" however they never show you where they may be available, if in fact they exist, or anything else about them. It really would be nice to see that $100.00 fix that could make machinery so safe.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Sorry, as written, "industrial" tools are indicated.  

Should be a small hill for a stepper to rig two switches in line so the permission goes from one to the other.

'Twas the principle of not holding something and starting the tool which needed consideration.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
When using a hand held router on a dovetail jig, seems to me the safest option is a momentary(dead man) foot switch. I started with PC 690 routers with a toggle switch that required letting go of a handle to flip. That was why I started with a dead man.

For use on long cuts, a router with a handle switch is better.
Mac, I already suggested a deadman, and the OP didn't like that option. He seemed to infer an instability standing on it.

GW
(07-03-2017, 06:36 PM)Steve N Wrote: Not being a smart azz here when I say, if standing with one foot slightly higher than the other, but still touching down throws you that off center, you really should consult with a Doctor about balance issues. That is for real, and using power equipment when that seriously off balance is dangerous.

Everyone has to do what they think is best. I only know from injuries I have taken care of, that if the tool is blazing hot, and it literally hits the fan, you must get your foot to the switch to kill your tool. During that interval I have seen the injuries that occur when guys couldn't get out of the way. Like anything, you can reason it out, but when it goes sideways, reason leaves the building. Everything I put on here, similar to this, has at least one sad ending story behind it. In this case it is several. Beside best of luck, thats all I'll say.

The alternative to both of these is a big old (see below) mounted up where it is already right next to your hands, when they are on the tool.

[Image: s-l300.jpg]

I use one from Amazon.com.  I call it my "hip" switch.  Mounted at the height that I can turn it off by bumping my hip against it.  In my shop a switch on the floor would eventually become a tripping hazard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002C4...UTF8&psc=1
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
On the router table where I use the deadman it's Very similar to this one, just 25 years old When I am done it gets shoved into the box, along with the extension cord I use with it. Room enough in there to park a car, well maybe not a car, but spacious.
Big Grin

GW