Kilz
Question 
I've read several posts taking issue with Kilz. I'd like to know what problems users have had with that product and recommended alternative. 

I'm getting ready to paint previously stained and finished cabinets. Insight that individuals might provide would be greatly appreciated. After lots of scrubbing and sanding, I was intending to prime with Kilz. My experience with oil based paints in one bathroom in comparison with another using latex favors the use of latex. 

On walls, I've used latex Kilz primer after stripping wallpaper, TSP, rinsing and minor surface repairs with apparent success.
There are more types of Kiltz primers than I knew about.   I have had good luck with the original shellac based product as far as covering water stains.   Kiltz primer list   It would be helpful if people said what Kiltz they used and on what when they had problems.   I would also consider Zinester BIN primer.       Roly
When a product is successful, companies leverage the name to gain more sales.  I also was unaware of the variety of Kilz products. I have only used the oil based primer on drywall, over prior paint, and I find it works well.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
The same goes for BIN primer.  There are several.  I really like BIN pigmented shellac based primer, far better than the Kilz latex one.  Dries faster and harder, easy to sand afterwards, and seals stains better. 

John
(07-02-2017, 03:26 PM)jteneyck Wrote: The same goes for BIN primer.  There are several.  I really like BIN pigmented shellac based primer, far better than the Kilz latex one.  Dries faster and harder, easy to sand afterwards, and seals stains better. 

John

Shellac based BIN is da' bomb.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
BIN is fantastic. If something gets paint it gets BIN first in my shop. I am eventually going to try tinting it. Has anyone here tried tinting BIN with transtints or some other color consentrate?
Dave, I'm also interested in tinting BIN.  The approach I'm considering trying is using Universal Tinting Colorants, such as these from Homestead Finishing.    Transtint may very well work, but I think pigment is the better approach so that's what I plan to try.  Along the same lines, I may ask my local SW's if they can tint BIN for me.  One potential  advantage of that approach is they should be able to match any color I give them more quickly than I'll be able to do it.  Anyway, that's how I'm thinking about going about it.
OB Kilz will bond well over a scuffed surface and sand out quite well. It's still not up to par with BIN pigmented shellac though--My first choice as well. Anyone who has sprayed BIN will quickly fall in love with it. Also, the OB Kilz is super stinky, thicker and messier to spray. Waterbased Kilz should never be used as a wood primer, IMO. It's simply the wrong product for the job. It's soft, tacky, and doesn't sand out or powder up worth a hoot.

(07-02-2017, 10:24 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Shellac based BIN is da' bomb.

Works great.  They say you can use it to spot prime knots outdoors, but not to use it as a outdoors finish primer.  

Smells awful, but dries quick enough.  And like shellac it seems to adhere to everything and everything adheres to it.  

If I were painting a house that had a cat in it, I would use the shellac based Kilz.  Shellac seals odors.  I'd also use two coats of shellac on the floors and then finish with poly to trap those odors too.

If you are applying a color, then have the paint shop pigment the Kilz.  It will prime and provide one coat of color at the same time, possibly saving you one extra coat of finish.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-05-2017, 02:44 PM)Cooler Wrote: Works great.  They say you can use it to spot prime knots outdoors, but not to use it as a outdoors finish primer.  

Smells awful, but dries quick enough.  And like shellac it seems to adhere to everything and everything adheres to it.  

If I were painting a house that had a cat in it, I would use the shellac based Kilz.  Shellac seals odors.  I'd also use two coats of shellac on the floors and then finish with poly to trap those odors too.
O
If you are applying a color, then have the paint shop pigment the Kilz.  It will prime and provide one coat of color at the same time, possibly saving you one extra coat of finish.

Paint the cat. Fix things at the source.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin