Need a source for mail order hardwood
I live in a very rural area in the Rocky Mt West and have had no luck finding hardwood.  Can anyone suggest a source for hardwood I can buy online?  I am making some ladder back chairs and need some 8/4 straight grain clear white ash.
You never travel to the big city?  When I lived in Utah, we had people come into town from all over the intermountain west.  You could tell because there was a big line of cars behind them
Smile

Most places with a website will ship.  It's been a while since I moved east, but I used to get wood shipped to me from a couple of places.  Sorry I can't recommend a specific dealer, it has been over 20 years. I don't know that it would be a lot more to ship from one of the eastern dealers, I used to ship myself wood when I visited mom near Philly.  It's worth looking, anyway
I'm guessing you live in the Rocky Mountains, on the Western part of them? If you live in Rocky Mt, West Virginia just ask around town. The way you wrote it made me unsure.

Because I live where there are trees, I have never needed to pay S&H for lumber, hopefully I never need to know a place that does ship. Seems the price would always be twice what it needs to be.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Try Steve Wall

http://www.walllumber.com/products.asp
Thanks for your help. I live in Southern Idaho. Haven't been able to find white ash here.
I've always been pleased with what I buy from Niagara Lumber. Shipping is already priced in so no phone calls etc. Although this model becomes less of an advantage the more you buy.

I've ordered from Woodworkers Source before and have never been pleased with the wood. They shipped dressed to 13/16 (which in reality is a fleas nose hair thicker than 3/4") so there's no room left to mill the stock. Niagara ships rough.
-Marc

ash is in short supply due to pests, I think.  One of the hardwood dealers in Salt Lake City used to sell ash bat blanks. 
Even when I lived there 20 years ago, there was talk about supply problems.

I thought everyone in southern Idaho descended upon SLC on a regular basis.  Although it's a crazy drive, I went to a place north of Boise in search of spruce one time, felt epic.
I've heard Wall more often than any others combined as to a place for delivered wood. Have never experienced it, but if Dave says they are ok, he would know good stock.

Dave is he the guy you buy all of that outrageous stuff from? Mr Curly......
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve, I've never bought curly from Wall but I have bought mahogany, walnut ,cherry and molding. I've always had great service from them. I'm pretty picky about my figured lumber. I get all of it from a few people who specialize in figured woods and know what I want and usually call me when something comes available. It took me a long time to cultivate the relationships I have with these guys and I take good care of them to make sure they keep calling me.

Dart, is ash all you want? I ask because I have a friend who may be willing to ship you lumber. I know he has cherry, walnut, mahogany and a few other odds and ends. He could probably ship you 20 bf packs via FedEx. If you would be interested let me know.
I will put in a plug for Advantage Trim and Lumber. 

Back in 2012 when I needed pre-made panels for my Mission Desk Article, they were one of two sources. Now that I am in SW Florida, they have an operation in Sarasota, so I buy there and have them deliver.

They will ship, and their folks are GREAT about selecting the stock for you. I have never gotten a board from them that I would not have chosen myself.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.