Baltic birch plywood from the borgs?
(07-06-2017, 09:16 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: That's quite pricey for BB. Im paying about $19 and $20 a sheet here. Much less than the $99 from rockler. Seems that rockler is also buying it retail and reselling like woodcraft does.

What grade of BB and what size of sheet are you getting for $20 a sheet?  That's shockingly LOW for real BB.  True BB or appleply or similar is 13 plies for a nominal 3/4" (18mm) thick sheet.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(07-07-2017, 02:28 PM)AHill Wrote: What grade of BB and what size of sheet are you getting for $20 a sheet?  That's shockingly LOW for real BB.  True BB or appleply or similar is 13 plies for a nominal 3/4" (18mm) thick sheet.

5x5 1/2" BBBB $20 a sheet. BBCP $19 a sheet. 

5x5 BBBB 3/4 $40 a sheet. 

4x8 BBCP 1/2" $42.88 a sheet.

This was from a reciept from last week. Anyone on the west side of Fort Worth ish area that ever needs material and cant pick it up i have a trailer and dont mind helping local woodnetters. 5' wide stuff is a pain to haul without a trailer.

I buy mine locally from Fort Worth plywood.
That's in line with what I paid last time as well.  I wasn't aware bb came in 4x8 sheets, every time I've bought it it came in metric measurements that approximate 5'x5'x1/2", 1/4", etc.
The Russians, but mostly the Finns have realized our plywood market is vast, and we use 4x8 a lot, so they started to bring it in heavier numbers 10 - 15 years ago. I have seen it here and there for 40 years at least. 5x5's at that price are way cheaper than up here. I can get 4x8 the same as 5x5 up here, but for either it's 69 bux @ 3/4"
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Anyone tried Chesapeake Ply in Baltimore. $250 min orders or a $50 service charge. But other than that looks promising for a Mid Atlantic source. 

http://www.chesapeakeplywood.com/faq.htm
I use 1/8 inch BB for my Noah's Ark builds. I special order it thru a full service lumberyard. Last time I bought it they gave it to me as shipped- packaged between two "scrap " pieces. When I got it home and cut it open there were 2 good sheets. I figure that was a good deal! The scrap has proven very handy too!
I don't recall the price, but will order more when I need it.

Steve, that is a shame, and I am a bit surprised to hear that. I have always had great experiences with Rockler's CS even when they did I not know that I was not just another customer. 

Bad CS just sucks.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(07-06-2017, 09:16 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:            That's quite pricey for BB. Im paying about $19 and $20 a sheet here. Much less than the $99 from rockler. Seems that rockler is also buying it retail and reselling like woodcraft does.

When you have a source in town that Stocks it and you pick it up yourself, I agree. But obviously, the OP has no such source, as I do not. One thing I have learned as a consultant is that material costs are almost never the main issue, labor time is. 

I use 1/2" BB for templates jigs and fixtures. I usually require small to medium sized parts and often do not know I need them until I do. Paying $69.00 for a full sheet (in 12" wide strips) ordered in a few clicks, delivered to my door to have on hand is well worth the price. 

There is no good plywood dealer in my area, and certainly no good lumber yard. When I need hardwoods I call Advantage in Sarasota and pay around $200.00 for delivery. Expensive? To some maybe, but to hook up my trailer, drive 3hours round trip, etc will cost me more than $200.00
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(07-07-2017, 02:22 PM)AHill Wrote: That's the price for Grade CP BB.  Unlimited knot repairs allowed.  I would expect B/BB grade to run over $90 for a 4'x8' sheet.

CP/CP: Single piece face and back. Face and back grade veneers allow unlimited sound knots and repaired splits and unlimited patches. The panel is sound both sides and designed for laminating.

Thanks Allan

In seeing the link do you see any that are good for me to use as templates and sleds and other things?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I just bought some BB from Menards.  I have found that they are stocking some better stock. 

Their prices are higher than most places but I don't have a normal lumber yard that sells better stuff close.  I figure the price differences isn't enough to travel more than 10 miles. 

When I want something Menard's has to special order I have Owl lumber about 30 miles away.  I don't like to wait.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.