Transparent, one side sticky, plastic sheet
I saw this technique demonstrated about a year ago on the internet but wouldn't know where to look now.
I've been doodling with Celtic knot designs and have drawn what I would like to enclose in a box lid (8 1/2 x 13).
The pieces will number maybe 150 or more. I don't want to glue one piece at a time to the substrate and may want to make additional boxes for gifts. First question..... did anyone see this demo or have actually done it?

My plan (and hope) is this: 1. Copy the pattern to the non-sticky side of the transparent sheet on a printer.
2. Using theĀ  pattern. affix each piece to the sticky side.
3. When all in place, apply glue to the pieces (OR to the substrate?).
4. Lay the completed design on the substrate and weight it down until the glue dries.
5. Then, hopefully, peel the sheet off the design hoping the glue will be stronger than the stickum.

Other questions:
1. I will use 1/8"BB for the pieces and would like a dark substrate background. What is the least expensive alternative to dyes, tints or stains which I NEVER use.
2. For the colored substrate, will PVA glue adhere the pieces?
3. If anyone has done this, is there a better way?
4. Best source for the sheets?

Sorry to drag this out, but if you are interested in a project like this, google David Nicholls+ Celtic knots. He's the best I watched. My pattern is based on the first four (of 21) tutorials, with a small, continuous border around the edges and a larger design in the middle.

As always, thanks for your advice.

Jerry