Glue down engineered wood floor.
(07-09-2017, 09:43 AM)Ed in NC Wrote: You might think about having the damage repaired instead of ripping out the whole room. I don't know the details re your floor, but there are professionals that do furniture repair that can make the repair like that almost, if not completely, invisible. And your remuneration from the folks that did the damage would most probably cover it. Just a thought.....Ed

Agreed, repair over replace. FurnitureMedic is one national chain. There are others. I would call around and ask, I'm sure you can find someone. it is a big PIA that you have to do the leg work but it is worth it. Do you really want to clear the room out and have the hassle of having the old floor removed and a new one put down ? I would rather make some calls and find someone that can do the repair than have a new floor. Just my opinion.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(07-08-2017, 09:54 PM)mission17 Wrote: This all started because a technician scratched the floor upgrading my internet connection. They. Over a very heavy desk and put a deep gouge about 3" king and 1/4" wide in the floor.
 They are offering $500 to compensate but I am finding it difficult to get someone who will tackle it and do a great job.

Gosh.  I would have taken the dough.  Gouge, what gouge?  I can't be bought, but I can be rented for life.  

Move the desk to cover the gouge.  Put in some wood filler.  Draw lines in it with an ink pen if you want grain.  Spray it with some rattle can poly.  It'll be the most profit margin you've ever made on a woodworking project.
Just taking the $500 was crossed my mind for a second but there are reasons why I did not.
-The contractor screwed up. By their contract with the utility they were working for, they are supposed to call before arrival. That way I would be at the house, not just my wife. No call was made.
-Contract says they are NOT to move any furniture. They moved it and cut the floor.
-sure I can fill and fix but it won't look right and why the Hell should I? I didn't screw it up.
-Putting the desk over it is a fine idea....until we redecorate or sell.
-We have a nice house. We bought it new 10 years ago and it STILL looks new.

So while I'm no longer asking them to totally remove and replace, $500 ain't gonna do it.