greenfield guitars
We've seen a few guitar-making videos, but there were some new (to me) techniques in this one. Plus, lots of cool hand tools.

Michael Greenfield guitars
Nice video of the process.  It's not uncommon for small volume luthiers to share their process.  The Acoustic Guitar Forum, of which I'm a member, has a build-along subforum where many luthiers share pics of their builds.  It's very interesting. 

A lot of the tools are peculiar to the luthier  - more specifically - guitar industry.  The files used to cut the grooves for the stings, for example.  You can see jigs galore, which are the guitar makers' staple.  Many of those tools are sold by Stewart MacDonald - StewMac to those of us guitar aficionados.  StewMac tools are not cheap! (Nor are Greenfield Guitars)
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
These are always great to watch.

My proudest moment as a (profitless) tool-flipper came when one of the Holy Grail luthiers bought a Stanley No. 65 from me on auction.   I'll keep his identity secret
Smile
Chris
thanks for sharing.  i watched the whole thing.  fascinating.
Very evolved method of work.  He has found a balance between art and business that is necessary to be continuously successful.  The video itself is also fittingly well done.  Although we may not be able to afford his work, it costs nothing to appreciate and be inspired by it.
Thank you for this post. I truly enjoyed watching this video. Although I am an amateur woodworker and intermediate-level guitarist, I would never consider attempting to make a guitar without becoming an apprentice to a respected luthier. This video allowed me to live vicariously through Michael and his apprentice.

Mahalo Nui Loa!
Earl
(07-17-2017, 05:37 AM)thomaskila Wrote: Thank you for this post.  I truly enjoyed watching this video.  Although I am an amateur woodworker and intermediate-level guitarist, I would never consider attempting to make a guitar without becoming an apprentice to a respected luthier.  This video allowed me to live vicariously through Michael and his apprentice.  

Mahalo Nui Loa!  
Earl

Right there with you - half the time.  I waffle back and forth.  I think ultimately I'll give it a shot someday, but keep my expectations realistic, which is the hard part for me most of the time
Tongue
I had the same thought. As a compromise between doing nothing and making a good guitar, I had a lot of fun making a cigar box guitar. I can proudly say that it doesn't _not_ play. Works best with a slide. 

[Image: cigar%20box%20guitar.jpg]
I see no reason to hold off on building a guitar if that's what you want to do.  You can always burn it.  Just get some cheap wood and don't worry about how it comes out.

I would get a copy of "guitarmaking" by Cumpiano & Natelson. Except use a bolt-on neck. It shows how to build a guitar without too many tools.  A lot of people just mess around acquiring tools instead of building.  Ebay has a lot of guitar wood that's good enough to learn with.   If it's not your chosen career, there is no reason to hold off just because you can't do an apprenticeship.
For a last ditch effort, I got a guitar kit from Grizzly for my son. He is the musically inclined gen of our family tree. Nada. He is not a DIY. At $80, tax included, it's not a horrendous loss. Someone at Goodwill could have fun.

Looking at the kit, there seems a beginner's base to it that one could enhance structurally for improved sound. It could be a fun spark for a special hobby. In the Greenfield video they didn't spend a lot of attention to sound quality. Maybe, guitars are different from other classic wood-strings. However, playing a little with bracing and neck structure, fretting in the kit adds plenty of personality to a kit build. 

Realistically, I think Greenfield and Holtey are a common denominator in their crafts. Perfection is engineered. You could have a Krenov wood plane doing as well as a Holtey. And, draw the lucky instrument, in Nashville(?), that carries your career into several stellar peaks. The guitar, held together with spit and splints, can't still carry the same magic sound.