Taking A Break for Awhile
Last September I had a heart attack, only 5 days before a scheduled total knee replacement.  The fix was a stent which requires me to be on a blood thinner for a year.  Unfortunately, my knee has progressively gotten worse, to the point where simply standing for more than half an hour is not only painful, but it takes a couple of days to recover.  I'm now using a cane or crutch to walk.  Last month, I made a pastry board for a friend, and it pretty much put me out of commission for 3 or 4 days.  Kneeling is a real chore, and getting up after kneeling makes me feel a lot older than I really am (just north of 60).  So, I've decided I need to stay out of the shop until I can get my knee replacement and make it through my physical therapy.  I had my other knee done a couple of years ago, so I know what to expect.  Sitting while woodworking doesn't work for the kind of things I do.  Besides, my shop is mostly on mobile bases in my garage.  Moving things around doubles the discomfort.

I'll still be lurking and contributing, but just wanted to vent my frustration.  Patience is a virtue I've not often been blessed with!  But, I know what lies in my future, so this time, I'm willing to wait.  In the meantime, I'll be playing my guitars and adding to my Woodworking To-Do List.

P.S.  Running around 10,000 miles on roads in combat boots is not usually going to end well!  (But I'd do it again - I am proud to have served.)
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Sorry for your knee issues but thank you for your service!
Man, life can sure suck when it wants to. Best wishes....glad your sticking around here.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Allan, I wish you the best when you get to the surgery. Don't get crazy and sell your tools.....
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Do you need to wait until you're off the blood thinners to have your knee done?

I was under the impression they had you stop the blood thinners for a week or whatever, did the surgery, and then put you back on the thinners at some point.

But maybe not an option if the reason you're on the thinners is the relatively new stent.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
Sorry to hear this, I enjoy seeing your projects.

Good time to research, plan and draw out future projects though.

Here is wishing you a speedy recovery!
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Best of luck Allan,you are doing the right thing.Glad you plan to hang around and maybe offer advice.All the best.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(07-05-2017, 05:12 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Do you need to wait until you're off the blood thinners to have your knee done?

I was under the impression they had you stop the blood thinners for a week or whatever, did the surgery, and then put you back on the thinners at some point.

But maybe not an option if the reason you're on the thinners is the relatively new stent.

As I understand it, you need to be on blood thinners 1 year for the stent to be totally incorporated into the artery.  You have to be off the blood thinner for at least 30 days prior to any major surgery.  I will be taking a baby aspirin a day for the rest of my life, and I'm also on 2 different blood pressure meds and the Lipitor cholesterol med.  Will probably have to stop everything except the cholesterol prior to the surgery, then resume the BP meds after the surgery.  I can't remember all the "rules".  Prior to my last knee replacement, my HMO required a 3 hour class which included all the particulars about what's allowed and what's not allowed.  I need permission from my cardiologist to proceed with the knee replacement, so shortly after I reach the 1 year mark, I'll make an appointment with cardiology, then follow up with orthopedics.  I'm beginning to feel like I'm a frequent flyer.  Aside from my stent procedure, I've had 4 surgeries, and they were all related to injuries (knees & hernias).  My cardiologist told me after the heart attack that some studies indicate 6 months on the blood thinners is adequate, but my HMO (Kaiser Permanente) takes the conservative approach, and relies on more established protocols.  My FIL is a retired surgeon as well, so I consult with him every time something seems odd.  He still reads the Journal of American Medical Association - Surgery or whatever the AMA calls it.  When all this is resolved, I'll be fluent in Latin and med-speak.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(07-05-2017, 04:41 PM)Steve N Wrote: Allan, I wish you the best when you get to the surgery. Don't get crazy and sell your tools.....
Big Grin

No way I'm selling my tools.  Retirement is only a few years away, and then it'll be an almost daily affair with my shop.  Retirement plans include relocating to a more tax-friendly state and purchasing a property that will support a dedicated shop.  LOML approves.  I want to be at least half as active as Timberwolf (Jack Edgar) when I retire.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(07-05-2017, 06:49 PM)AHill Wrote:  When all this is resolved, I'll be fluent in Latin and med-speak.

Caesar's Gallic Wars is a much better read in Latin.

Virgil's Aeneid might have been more enjoyable if I had learned to read it aloud with the proper accentuation than it was just read silently.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.