Taking A Break for Awhile
Best of luck with your recovery and future surgery. Given your heart problems and your elevated blood pressure and cholesterol, maybe it's time for a life-style change. A heart attack at your age is a huge red flag. If you'd like to begin to learn about reversing heart disease, read the book linked below. John McDougall, MD and Dean Ornish, MD also have good books on the subject.

http://www.choose-healthy-eating-for-lif...V3SuzOZNzC

https://www.amazon.com/Prevent-Reverse-H...rt+disease
Bummer, Allan! Very sorry to hear about this. Agree with the "Don't sell your tools" comment. Also, stick with the Physical Therapy. A good therapist can do wonders.
(07-06-2017, 07:17 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: Bummer, Allan! Very sorry to hear about this. Agree with the "Don't sell your tools" comment. Also, stick with the Physical Therapy. A good therapist can do wonders.

What Hank said!
Yes

Oh, and just don't let your woodworking to-do list get too long...
Winkgrin

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
First, thank you for your service.

Secondly, your situation just plain sucks but it seems that you have a good attitude moving forward and I hope that things work out in the long run.
We have a lot in common. I know all about running in combat boots, had nine knee surgeries, was on thinners for three years, and away from the shop for a year.
Getting back in the woodshop was a joy.
Best of luck to you.

Read the woodworking mags...
Keep you in touch...
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Can I send you any ww reading material or anything to keep the spark alive?

Also a benchtop CNC might be a way to do some pseudo ww work and not have much of the fatigue.

Let me know what info you need.

Praying healthy wishes for you bro.

Sincerely
Mikie

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I can understand your frustration. Getting old is the hardest thing I have done yet.

However, the outlook is much better than just 10 years ago. And there is a good chance you can get back in the shop in a couple of years.

Lurk and devil us---OK?
Yes
I am not a veteran, so thank you all here for your service.
I'm just going to toss this idea out to you-have you considered using a wheelchair, to take the weight off your knees, and still move around?
I don't know how your shop is set up, some tools might be too high to use safely, but others might be easily lowered,
I grew up in my dad's shop, while I was on wheels-he didn't lower anything, and I operated every tool he had.
..........sometimes when he wasn't looking
Wink

Just a thought- so you can keep some sawdust flowing in your veins.
Mikie:
I have plenty of reading material. I've been collecting for when I'm off work after my second knee replacement - sometime mid-to-late October - probably around 8 weeks total.

K.L.:
I will certainly continue lurking and contributing. And playing devil's advocate from time-to-time.

rlnguy:
I've considered a wheelchair or stool. The problem is moving all my mobile tools around when I need to rearrange the garage to a workshop. Last knee replacement, I did use a stool to sit and work on small stuff, but only after the first few weeks of convalescence. The project where I replaced the cutterhead on my Delta lunchbox planer with a shelix cutter was the latter part of my recovery. If I do much, it'll likely be turning and not making cabinets or large furniture pieces. During recovery from a knee replacement, they recommend you keep the knee above the heart while resting, and it's necessary to ice the knee every couple of hours. I did physical therapy about every 2 hours just before the icing, and kept that routine for at least 10 weeks.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Well, I hope the time passes quickly and you're back in the shop soon.