Lawn Tools
(07-06-2017, 02:07 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: Well I have pretty much decided to go with a Battery operated one. Unfortunately, I was hoping to find a Dewalt 18V model (since that is what I already have in cordless) but they only have the 20V versions. Does anyone know if the Dewalt 18 and 20 v batteries are interchangeable?

Thanks

Pedro

The Dewalt adapter goes from 20 volt to 18 volt not the other way. I received one to try and it works great in my drills and saw
(07-06-2017, 02:07 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: Well I have pretty much decided to go with a Battery operated one. Unfortunately, I was hoping to find a Dewalt 18V model (since that is what I already have in cordless) but they only have the 20V versions. Does anyone know if the Dewalt 18 and 20 v batteries are interchangeable?

Thanks

Pedro

I wouldn't get any smaller than a 40V one. 

I have the 40V Kobalt 13" version and it is as strong as my old husqvarna gas powered one that bit the dust last year. I have yet to run the battery down even when I trim and edge everything on my property at once. 

My mom has the 20V B&D and it sucks. There is a night and day difference once you get to 40V. They also make 80V version now, but I think that might be overkill.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
The 20v brushless trimmers can't be compared to your mom's Bleak & Darker trimmer.......

Ed
Ed, do you have one?  Seems like a 20v would be nice if it shared batteries with hand tools.  I was looking at the Dewalt flex voltage one, but I'm not sure how many tools I would use that need 60v.
I've got the brushless 20v blower, trimmer is on my list, haven't got there yet. I'm waiting for the 12" chainsaw....

Just remember, the Flexvolt batteries work on the 20v tools also.

Ed
I got the 20v brushless on amazon, prime day special https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TL72J2A/ref...9810155048
I and a lot of lawn services around me use Echo trimmers.
I buy them at yard sales for $20 - $30  and usually put in a new  primer bulb in and resell . Only buy straight shaft ones.
They always start up with 1 or 2 pulls.
My first trimmer was a Homelite, (under $70) and it was crap.
I bought a lightly used Stihl FS-45 around 12 years ago for $90. I put a new primer bulb on it this year and have basically done nothing else but clean the air filter and add gas. I use it 4-5 times a month. The best attribute is how easy the line can be loaded. I had to restring an older Echo last week at work and it was a huge pain the rear. I would never buy a trimmer nowadays that didn't have an easy and well designed way to add the line.

I bought a Husquvara (SP?) at Lowes a few years ago for $200 or $300.  It was pricey.  It starts easily and does nice work.  The problem is if I tip it on its side to trim by the sidewalk, it cuts out.  Very annoying, and I didn't notice this until a few months after I bought it and therefore couldn't take it back.  

I consider the inability of the electrics to take the aftermarket easy-load heads to be a dealbreaker.  The aftermarket heads make string loading soooooo much easier.
I haven't had to reload the string on my coal (via rechargeable batteries) powered trimmer (Greenworks) yet, but it looks pretty simple...