How Do Hide Glue Joints Fail?
Allan,

I don't doubt that your friend's guitar failed at the joint, or that it was probably (but not certainly) glued with hide glue. Don't condemn hide glue on the basis of one isolated failure for which there are probably a number of credible explanations. Most high end guitars are glued together with hide glue. I can't recall and single story of a $20K Martin separating at a glue joint. Nor do I know of any Gibsons, Epiphones, Taylors, Santa Cruzes or Yamahas similarly failing. The fact is that thousands of musical instruments are produced every day with hide glue. If the glue was unreliable, that wouldn't be the case. I use hide glue (both hot and liquid) often in my shop. I've never been disappointed in it's performance.

Hank
Allan, misread the joint. That makes it weirder yet. I think it's most likely either the specific glue product being used, or possibly the applicator (person) was faulty. Hank said it all. hide glue is a good thing. Pre-bottled is maybe the best bet for most, because mixing it, even with instructions, errors can be made.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(07-07-2017, 08:28 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: Allan,

I don't doubt that your friend's guitar failed at the joint, or that it was probably (but not certainly) glued with hide glue. Don't condemn hide glue on the basis of one isolated failure for which there are probably a number of credible explanations. Most high end guitars are glued together with hide glue. I can't recall and single story of a $20K Martin separating at a glue joint. Nor do I know of any Gibsons, Epiphones, Taylors, Santa Cruzes or Yamahas similarly failing. The fact is that thousands of musical instruments are produced every day with hide glue. If the glue was unreliable, that wouldn't be the case. I use hide glue (both hot and liquid) often in my shop. I've never been disappointed in it's performance.

Hank

Again, not discounting hide glue.  I've heard good things about it.  And, to reiterate, the guitar was damaged by baggage handlers mishandling the guitar.  The guitar in question was obviously abused, and that's why it broke.  Another friend suggested it could not have been a glue failure because the break was at the joint and not in the wood.  I was just wanting to confirm that if it was hide glue, it would have broken at the joint.  My friend posted pics of his break on a different forum, and some folks on the forum were unaware that hide glue is a very popular adhesive used in guitar construction.  IMO, I think the joint was hide glue, but mishandling of the guitar caused it to break.  He's a professional musician, and has travelled extensively with his guitar and never had an event like this.  If the joint was poorly glued, it would have failed long ago.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill