Ridgid OSS Fan Assembly
A friend made a replacement fan assembly for my Ridgid Oscillating Spindle Sander as the part is no longer available from Ridgid.

At this point it may have simply been a challenge to make one with no intent of mass production but I thought I would mention it on this forum.

Thanks, Bill
I'm not exactly sure where you're going with this. Are you just pointing out that the part can be made and not to trash the sander?
As cvillewood inferred correctly the message was to point out that if this part is broken on your sander it can be made. With the proliferation of 3D printers and people looking to develop their skills in CAD design it might be worth it to check in your area.

A good place to check is a local MakerSpace.

Bill
(07-09-2017, 03:48 PM)thooks Wrote: Put 10+ hours into repairing something worth $100?

I'd just try to find a used one first.

Where do I find one for $100 that won't have the fan fail in a few hours of use?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(07-07-2017, 08:12 PM)wjt Wrote: A friend made a replacement fan assembly for my Ridgid Oscillating Spindle Sander as the part is no longer available from Ridgid.

At this point it may have simply been a challenge to make one with no intent of mass production but I thought I would mention it on this forum.

Thanks, Bill

So, is that it?

Yea, I can print a lot of stuff with my 3D printer. Made a new bracket for the TV which LOML had broken this weekend. The challenge is modeling the part correctly and getting it printed without having to do it 37 times.

Details? STL files, etc, etc, etc.....
chris
I've had 3 of those sanders. First a used from a friend, that finally went up in smoke. The next I bought new. Then a used one at a yard sale for $30.
The new one I have, has the lifetime warranty (call it what you like)
Never had a fan problem, and wonder what they would do if the fan was bad, and no replacement available.
(07-12-2017, 08:12 AM)Pirate3 Wrote: I've had 3 of those sanders. First a used from a friend, that finally went up in smoke. The next I bought new. Then a used one at a yard sale for $30.
The new one I have, has the lifetime warranty (call it what you like)
Never had a fan problem, and wonder what they would do if the fan was bad, and no replacement available.

They would tell you to return it to where you bought it.

I just tested this.
Bought a new one at Home Depot
Emailed Rigid customer service saying I need a fan
They said fan is not available because sometimes they stop making parts for vintage tools.
I replied that I bought it last week
He asked for serial number and if I had reciept.
I gave him serial number and said I had reciept.
He replies, ok, just return it
I told him I wanted the sander and a new fan
Why do you sell tools that you can't get parts for and asked for a supervisor.
No more replies so I have emailed sales dept asking why I can't get a part for a brand new tool they are still selling
Waiting for reply.

Thing is, I love this little sander. It is perfect for projects I do and I want to keep the one I have and the new one
For The Love Of Wood
(07-12-2017, 08:12 AM)Pirate3 Wrote: Never had a fan problem, and wonder what they would do if the fan was bad, and no replacement available.

Others have said the part is not available for purchase, but that does not mean it is not available.  Manufacturers basically have to support a product for 7 years after last sale.  They almost certainly have a stock of fans projected to cover all needed repairs for that period, but they don't want to sell those parts directly to end users.  If they run out, they can refund your purchase price as an alternative.