Sofa Table VI – all the way to completion
<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Arial; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536859905 -1073711037 9 0 511 0;} @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1107305727 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:11.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-ascii-font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> We begin the final session with the table top being glued up. The timber is West Australian Sheoak, and this promises to be something special. When finished, it is a rose gold in colour, darkening over time to a rose-gold-brown.

[Image: 1a.jpg]

While the panel is drying, I get on with finishing the drawer. So far it has been fitted to the table with an extra divider attached with a through mortice-and-tenon …

[Image: 2a.jpg]

We move on to attaching the slips …

[Image: 3a.jpg]

The drawer bottom is trimmed to fit, and then rebated for the slips …

[Image: 4a.jpg]

Here is the completed drawer. Note that the drawer bottom rests below the slips (rather than at the same height). This was to save a few mm of height …

[Image: 5a.jpg]

The rear of the drawer …

[Image: 6a.jpg]

The end of the drawer has a fitted section that serves to prevent the drawer bottom expanding to the rear. Instead, it will expand into a deeper groove at the front of the drawer. The reason for this less typical construction will be clearer later.

[Image: 16a.jpg]

The drawer sides require a little tuning to slide smoothly. The drawer front at the legs was very tight (so that the drawer front appears to be a solid join), and it was necessary to remove some thickness from the drawer sides. This was done with a scraper for control, to avoid planning into the drawer front …

[Image: 7a.jpg]

Here is the fitted drawer …

[Image: 8a.jpg]

…and here is the drawer front …

[Image: 9a.jpg]

The table top is ready for shaping. It has been book matched to create a pattern in the figure of a slight boat. This will enhance the outline of the top …

[Image: 13a.jpg]

[Image: 14a.jpg]

The top is marked out with the template I made early on, and then bandsawed to shape. Below the ends are planed …

[Image: 17a.jpg]

… and then the sides receive their final shaping with a Mujingfang double iron woodie. The advantage of this plane here is that it can take a thick shaving without tearout regardless of grain direction …

[Image: 18a.jpg]
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Arial; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536859905 -1073711037 9 0 511 0;} @font-face {font-family:Wingdings; panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:2; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 268435456 0 0 -2147483648 0;} @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1107305727 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:11.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-ascii-font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> The top is smoothed with my favourite Veritas Custom #4 …

[Image: 19a.jpg]

Time to shape the underside of the table ends. The plan is a long chamfer. This is roughed out by traversing with a Veritas LA Jack, using a low cutting angle ..

[Image: 20a.jpg]

When traversing, the far end is bevelled to avoid spelching. However, as on gets to the line, it is safer not to plane over the far end. As a result, a slight wedge is created. This is smoothed down with a skew block plane …

[Image: 21a.jpg]

Finally, the surface is finished with a cabinet scraper. At the same time the inside of the chamfer is fared into the underside of the table top.

[Image: 22a.jpg]

Having spent a little time with the table top on the base, I decided that the curved front could be a little deeper. This was done before proceeding further …

[Image: 23a.jpg]

Time to attach the top to the base. I had earlier cut slots for the buttons with a Festool Domino, and had planned to use the dominos as buttons. In practice the dominos were too short, and so I cut out sections in Maple to the desired length.

Note in the picture below that I have also attached cross pieces at the inside ends of the base. These were to ensure that the to does not move. They are cross grain to ensure what little movement runs to the inside …

[Image: 24a.jpg]

[Image: 25a.jpg]

The final construction is to add a Quaker Lock for the drawer. This is a simple stop that prevents the drawer being extended further than desired. It is attached using the same screw …

[Image: 26a.jpg]

But, since it is spring-loaded, it can also be pressed in and the drawer opened up fully (if you know to do this). This will reveal the hidden drawers behind the hidden drawer J

[Image: 27a.jpg]

Finally!!!! All is completed. The base has been finished in two coats of dewaxed white shellac (Ubeaut), and then received three coats of General Finishes water-based poly, which was hand rubbed. This is to retain the light colour. The top has been finished in Livos Universal Wood Oil. This is a green oil made largely from cold pressed flax seeds. It adds a slight amber sheen to the wood.

This is two coats. I plan on a few more.

[Image: 30a.jpg]

From the front …

[Image: 28a.jpg]

Here is a side elevation of the shaped ends …

[Image: 29a.jpg]

The drawer slides out this far …

[Image: 31a.jpg]

Thanks for the support along the way. Please ask any questions you like. All discussion welcomed.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Beautiful.
Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope. Maya Angelou
Sweet! Does your wife like it, or will you have a bonfire in the near future?

What were the new challenges imposed with this project?
That is a very elegant piece, Derek. I like it.
Smooth, sensuous, beautiful!
Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Quote:Sweet! Does your wife like it, or will you have a bonfire in the near future?

Bruce, it is for the bonfire.

My wife likes it but not against the sofa. She finds the Maple too stark there. On the other hand, she likes it in the hall. Not the best picture (poor lighting) ...

[Image: Entrance-hall2.jpg]

[Image: Entrance-hall3.jpg]

So it will live there (replacing another table) or get sold (not sure what type of price I should ask - any thoughts?). I shall enter it in the coming West Australian woodshow competition (in Perth) at the beginning of next month as see how it is received.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Looks very sleek.

And using the blue-tape to re-establish the curve is a good idea. One can muck about with the tape position to pre-visualize and then just leave it in place and work down to the tape.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I am sorry to hear that Derek. It is lovely. 

Now, with two (similar) in the house, I would fear persistent deja vu.
Possibly a job for a dark-hued Briwax now....   It's sometimes amazing what it can do, post-finishing.

Tables in our house are covered in magazines, tissue-boxes, tea-saucers; you almost can't tell the table color anyway !

Good job on the design and build, and next time you need to get rid of a slab of she-oak, let me know
Smile

Chris
Chris