Mantel Progress
I promise I am working on it.  It's coming along pretty well.  I just have to setup some shims to get it level and drill some mounting holes.  Then I'll tint/stain/poly and get it mounted.  Here's a picture of it temporarily set in place.  It's taken me a bit to figure out some of the steps, but I'm happy with how it's turning out so far.  If you can't tell, it's red oak.  I'll be staining it fairly dark.

Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
I like it!
Yes

Cool
Cool
Cool
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Very cool. How is it going to be secured ? I've done it a couple of ways over the years but am always looking for new and better ideas.

Please show us the completed mantel when it is done.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
The fireplace already has brick corbels to carry the weight, so I have some pieces attached in the back for that. Above each corbel, the fireplace has a couple of 2x4s in place of one of the bricks. I'll mount it to those. However, I have it setup so there won't be weight pulling out on those mounts. It's more just to keep it from shifting. It will have less force on those than the old mantel.
A couple of pictures showing the bottom. I made a couple of shims to compensate for the uneven brick corbels and level it out. That lower panel will be removable for accessing the moubring points.

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-09-2017, 09:38 AM)lincmercguy Wrote: The fireplace already has brick corbels to carry the weight, so I have some pieces attached in the back for that. Above each corbel, the fireplace has a couple of 2x4s in place of one of the bricks. I'll mount it to those. However, I have it setup so there won't be weight pulling out on those mounts. It's more just to keep it from shifting.  It will have less force on those than the old mantel.

What was there before? I like what you've done, clean, simple, it works.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(07-09-2017, 09:34 PM)Steve N Wrote: What was there before? I like what you've done, clean, simple, it works.

It took a bit to figure out what I wanted.  As usual, it's a mix of various pieces I found online for inspiration.  I didn't want just a box there, but didn't want something extremely complex either.

The previous one is just a brown false laminated beam made to look rough cut.  If it was an actual barn or warehouse beam, I would have left it.  I had some materials left from the previous house and wanted an easier project to get my shop setup and back into woodworking.

Here's the official "before" picture.