Weather resistant wood
(07-10-2017, 11:49 AM)jteneyck Wrote: But the real point of my post is to advise you not to use Varathane, even their spar varnish. 

Single data point:

Well into its second year of exposure on the deck, a small "adult drinks" table made of plain #2 pine.  Finished with the Varathane waterborne outdoor spar (a small personal quibble because I thought to be spar varnish, it also had to have an oil/solvent base) varnish.

Why the Varathane?  Because I was curious to see how it holds up and a quart can makes for an inexpensive test on an inexpensive project. 

No issues and minimal color shift when looking at the top of the table vs the bottom of the table.  Still quite light colored.  

Will it make it through a 3rd year? Don't know.  But finish hasn't cracked and table still supports a beverage without fear of crashing down.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I gave up on finishing outdoor wood when LOML said one day, I really like it when it weathers, and gets gray. Since then on areas where it will no doubt be touched (like a fence gate) At any contact points I strive to sand them every year for at least 3 years. Often any wood outdoor can get a little spintery and the sanding it down makes it easy to touch, without any OUCH.

Finishing outdoor wood is an unending PIA, and not too fun of a task
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Does your table sit out in the weather, directly exposed to sun and rain? If it does I want to know the complete name of that product. Thanks

John
[attachment=3161 Wrote:jteneyck pid='7494844' dateline='1499988655']Does your table sit out in the weather, directly exposed to sun and rain?  If it does I want to know the complete name of that product.  Thanks

John

Deck has west exposure, full sun, rain, bird poop, etc.  However it does drain well so the table doesn't set in water.  And we've had no significant snow in many years.

Its the Varathane outdoor waterborne spar urethane in the purple can.  Essentially, the cheapest stuff I could find.  If I remember correctly, two good heavy coats, sprayed.  Probably 3mil wet thickness at least. 

It may be good, it may be dumb luck with this one project.  This isn't anything even resembling a controlled test as far as exposure, application conditions & method, etc.

Where did you buy the Varathane Rob? I bought mine at Lowes, but it also says Minwax in small letters, different colored labed and smells. But the other wordage is similar.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
It's not like you can just say Varathane Spar Urethane Need a program. Looks like either Amazoo is cornfused, or it's from Rust Oleum.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(07-14-2017, 05:06 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Where did you buy the Varathane Rob?  I bought mine at Lowes, but it also says Minwax in small letters, different colored labed and smells. But the other wordage is similar.

Probably Menards.

I too find waterborne has a slight odor, but nothing like solvent borne stuff.
(07-14-2017, 10:02 AM)Steve N Wrote: It's not like you can just say Varathane Spar Urethane Need a program. Looks like either Amazoo is cornfused, or it's from Rust Oleum.

Scrolling down, looks to be right product with new blue label.
I've been using MinWax Spar Urethane for my fish measuring boards for 11 years, best thing I've found for them, never used oak. http://riverviewwoodworking.com/page2.html They are in constant use from the Arctic Circle to the Everglades.
I used it for some lawn chairs about 7 years ago and it was a disaster on White Oak, in the first year it broke down and ended up with black streaks on the arms.
Jim

THANK OUR MILITARY THAT WE ARE FREE

If I accepted, that'd mean I didn't have any integrity..
AND then I'd meet your expectations as a politician..
Fred Kingston...052708
Thanks for that follow-up, Rob.  That is impressive performance.  Others have claimed similar or even better performance for GF's 450 Exterior WB finish.  I saw a couple of pine planters at my local Rocklers done with it.  After a full year they didn't look so good.  The black locust bench on my deck is done with Epifanes.  It was perfect for about 3 years but when I failed to add a maintenance coat or two it started to crack/peel in spots which required quite a bit of sanding to remove and then re-varnish.  Darned if I haven't neglected it again.  That's the problem with wood outdoors.  No matter how good the product it's just a matter of time until maintenance is required.  

John