Router Tilting Table Question
Has anyone tried the tilting router table left mechanism from Dowelmax ?
https://www.dowelmax.com/product-categor...able-lift/

Any good ? Any shortcomings or gotchas ?
I haven't tried their version but I did make a similar mechanism for the cast iron router table.

I found that I don't use it much.

Duke
(07-10-2017, 08:41 AM)JDuke Wrote: I haven't tried their version but I did make a similar mechanism for the cast iron router table.

I found that I don't use it much.

Duke

Ya wouldn't have a picture of that device you made that you'd be willing to post?  I have the old Lee Valley steel router table and it's heavy as homemade sin to hold up.  I'm toying with some kind of tilt mechanism for it but my old brain isn't coming up with any real good ideas.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Years ago Stanley made a steel (I think it's steel) tilting router table insert for their chrome dome-top routers. It has an adjustable fence, a bit guard and a mechanism to hold the work piece against the fence. I have one that has never been used. If anyone is interested, it's yours for the shipping cost from South Carolina to wherever you are. I'm not sure the diameter of the router motor it accommodates, but it's small. If you're interested, PM me and I'll be glad to dig it out, measure it, take photos, etc. It belonged to my father, back in the day. It' a nice piece of gear, but I've never found a use for it.
Not clear on why you would buy this, and not simply make your tilt.

I have built dozens of router tables over the years and really like the tilt up top, especially as I get older. All you need are a couple of plywood pivot points on the underside of the top, and a swing away prop rod for holding it open.

I hate the gas pistons, they should be finely tuned to the weight they are lifting (and you really have NO IDEA at this point what you top will actually weigh if you are building) and they fail fairly easily, especially when the weight is too much.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Depends on the job you are doing, but sometimes it makes more sense to just tilt the tool.

[Image: Router%20angled%20to%20cut%20sliding%20D...ikueqd.jpg]
In that case it is not just a tilt, but a compound one.

If you are going to spend $$$$$$$$$ you might also want to talk to John about his very tiltable HRM He is a member here and goes under jteneyck. The thing about John is if you have a question about what he sells, Customer Service always knows the answer, and is as friendly and agreeable as you will find anywhere. You sure wouldn't need to ask a question here  
Big Grin  
Big Grin  
Big Grin Not that there is anything wrong with asking a question here....kinda why the place is here.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW