Drilling through concrete
Chisel and hammer.

Air hammer/chisel.
For everybody suggesting a cold chisel, BTDT more than once. With a cold chisel, or even a chisel in a rotary hammer, if he's lucky after much fussing he will get a sort of round hole that the new faucet will fit through, but it will probably be too big for the escutcheon on the faucet to cover it, and the screws that hold the faucet in place won't have anything to screw into. Also, for this job he already has a pilot hole and doesn't need the plywood to use as a pilot, also BTDT. I've done exactly what he's proposing, more than once. Best solution is a hammer drill with the correct bit. next best is a regular (but big) drill with the correct bit.
(07-10-2017, 08:06 PM)crokett™ Wrote: For everybody suggesting a cold chisel,  BTDT more than once.  With a cold chisel, or even a chisel in a rotary hammer, if he's lucky after much fussing he will get a sort of round hole that the new faucet will fit through, but it will probably be too big for the escutcheon on the faucet to cover it, and the screws that hold the faucet in place won't have anything to screw into.  Also, for this job he already has a pilot hole and doesn't need the plywood to use as a pilot, also BTDT.  I've done exactly what he's  proposing, more than once.  Best solution is a hammer drill with the correct bit.  next best is a regular (but big) drill with the correct bit.

Well if he uses a hole saw he needs a pilot because his existing hole is too large.

I don't know what the wall is but if unfilled concrete block, a 1-1/4" bit is going to make for some decent blowout on the basement side.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
Ancient people using primitive chisels and hammers slabbed rock so well the fit wouldn't allow a piece of paper to slip between them and we can't even enlarge a small hole the right size using the same tools- and with a hardened chisel instead of copper tools. I must question who the advanced species are.?  
Laugh
Ancient people had more time on their hands.
When it comes to concrete I couldn't agree more with using the right bit and hammer drill, but I'm also easily frustrated when it comes to such work.
There's gotta be someone you know locally with a hammer drill you can borrow in exchange for a six pack of his/her favorite beverage.
Ray
I don't understand why you borrowed the hammer drill if you don't want to buy a bit for it.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(07-10-2017, 08:34 PM)daddo Wrote: Ancient people using primitive chisels and hammers slabbed rock so well the fit wouldn't allow a piece of paper to slip between them and we can't even enlarge a small hole the right size using the same tools- and with a hardened chisel instead of copper tools. I must question who the advanced species are.?  
Laugh

Ancient people had more time and less access to power tools. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it requires some skill to get it right. The average homeowner doesn't have that skill. I'm not an average homeowner, and I know I don't.
So if the hole is oversized, install the valve and pack with  Bondo, which works fine outdoors or caulking.  (I would use Bondo or perhaps Sakrete.)
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-10-2017, 01:52 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: Rent an SDS hammer drill. It will probably take 5 minutes with a decent bit and you will be done.

Pedro

+1.  I gave up on a drill with a masonry bit last summer and rented a SDS.

It was minutes.  I was amazed at how well it worked.

Worth the $20 or $30 it cost me.

Mike