A chance to spend somebody else's money
The only good lathe tool I own is a pretty good 5/8" bowl gouge. None of the spindle gouges, skews, or parting tools that came with my old Shopsmith work well at all, perhaps because I don't know how to either sharpen or use them properly. The edges were all badly butchered with a snag grinder when I got them.

I found I needed to make a small cove on the neck of a segmented turning and my bowl gouge was too big to make the corner so I redesigned the neck to something I could make. I'd post a picture but I can't get it to work. I think I need a good, small detail gouge and maybe some other tools.

I got about $350 for some unscheduled bus driving so it can be spent on tools. I currently do all segmented vessels on my Galaxi 1644, in case that affects what tools I should get.

Now you all get to help me spend money. What should I get on my next step down the vortex?
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
I like my P&N 1/2" bowl gouge for finer work, but maybe the 3/8" is more of what you're looking for.

P&N tools
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I agree with Steve,I have P&N 3/8 bowl and spindle gouges,also 3/4" &1 1/4" skew.Love those tools.Next will be a roughing gouge.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I would prefer a spindle gouge for coves even though a bowl gouge may work.
Thompson makes quality tools and I would suggest the Detail Gouge (38D).  He also makes a standard spindle gouge and a shallow detail gouge but the detail gouge should get into any area.
http://thompsonlathetools.com/product-list/
Do you have a proper way to sharpen now? I second Doug Thompson as a recommendation he is great guy. Great to work with and great tools
Another vote for Doug.

My story started similar to yours.  So do NOT do like I did!!!  Instead study, investigate, and understand sharpening before you go much further.  The finest tools are worthless if you have the wrong approach to sharpening.  You have been wise in asking questions, I was not.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(07-11-2017, 08:39 AM)Wipedout Wrote: Do you have a proper way to sharpen now?

I have a Varigrind system but the 6" grinder that it's under leaves something to be desired. I'm in the process of rectifying this.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Ken

I first ask is do you have a grinder and maybe the wolverine sharpening system to sharpen the tools with?

To me if you do not then all the good tools are for nothing but grinding away good metal.

Then for tools I would either go with Thompson or D-Way tools which I think are the best and I want to get some of the D-Way tools for me and the guys.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I'm going to go against the grain. I use my detail/spindle gouges on spindle work only. Using and sharpening them can have a steep learning curve depending on the grind. Since your doing segmental work you'll always be turning long grain (excluding the bottom plate or stave work) and money is a factor. You might want to consider a multitip setup like easy tools or these. These should be able to do beads and coves with a bit of practice.
Angus

One of our own sells some good stuff for a lot less and his name is John

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7331542
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.