A Pond Question
Over the past few years, I've been getting more and more reeds growing around the edges of my pond.  And it's worse each year as they trap more and more silt.

[Image: 35668847782_afa695472a_c.jpg]

My neighbor says that even if I took the time to pull them all out, they'd come back next year.  He thinks the pond trapped enough silt that it's now shallow enough for the reeds to grown, and the only option is to get some one with a back hoe to dig it out.

Anyone have any less costly/radical suggestions?

I'm hardly a expert, but I think he's right. I'm facing the same problem, maybe with some other causes thrown in. There are companies that will dredge ponds, but none in my area so I'm not sure what to do. In my case I was able to confirm the amount of silting by completely draining the pond last year. I drained it to kill all the fish that were in it (3/4 acres, and all it had was Koi!) and was really disappointed by what I saw after it was drained. But I'm still looking for advice on what the next steps will be. The pond was supposed to be 13' deep, and my guess is that it's closer to 10' or so.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I had the same problem with my pond I started using a string trimmer and after 2 or 3 years the never came back.  My 2 BIL's had the same problem and I told him about trimming and he tried it with the same results as I got.  I have heard that the roots produce a product that will kill the plants when there is no green above the water
Is it possible to build a pump that would suck the water up with mud and separate it some and then dump the water back into the pond?

They use something like that- siphoning sand looking for coins in the oceans deep.
Does the presence of the reeds accelerate silt accumulation or will the pond silt up anyway? If you have solids coming in what will de-reeding help?
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
(07-11-2017, 03:47 PM)daddo Wrote: Is it possible to build a pump that would suck the water up with mud and separate it some and then dump the water back into the pond?

They use something like that- siphoning sand looking for coins in the oceans deep.

I do this in a 12x16 irrigation cistern. 

I would not suggest it in a pond however you still have to remove the silt in some manner. 

excavators or small draglines and trucking is the most economical, but may require a place that will allow the silt waste to be hauled to. that can become an issue 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Rodeo
You're right, I think.  De-reeding will not stop the silt (although it may slow it).  But it will make the pond look better.
I'll try the trimming.

I have had great success with round up but it will take about 12 days to kill all.  If you pond is shallow there on the breastwork the water will always be warmer and the sun will keep the weeds growing.   A blue dye will definitely keep the penetration to a minimum.  We use a  chelated copper product for algae here called Cutrine Plus.  9 to 1 water mix takes care of it all for a good month.  No restrictions on swimming or fish life or pets.
Bill
Aqua shade definately helps with the weeds in the deeper waters of the pond. Cattails around the edge will happen, the water is to shallow for the dye to work.

Roundup will kill them.

They are part of the joy of having your own backyard pond.

Ed