Looks Like the LN 4-1/2 Bronze is Back
It also came with a 50 degree frog (too low to do any good), which I replaced with a 55 degree frog (still too low and too hard to push). Now it has a 45 degree frog and works very well with the chipbreaker. The LN A2 blade was replaced by a Veritas PM-V11. Otherwise it is original
Smile 
 Very nice plane for wider panels.

[Image: image.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Have a few bronze tools, they are "purrty" and they don't rust which is fantastic in and of itself,but unless my family gives generously with gift certificates and LN doesn't sale all of them then it's just something to look at.....

They need to offer a full value trade in program for the old 4 1/2, that would help.......

Andy

-- mos maiorum
I hope they sell them all, and sell them fast. I love Lei-Nielsen tools and what they have done for hand tool woodworking. Probably my favorite company ever.
I have several LN planes including a bronze #3 and a #4 as well as an iron 4 1/2. Can't imagine paying so much for a brone 4 1/2. In fact, I found iron 4 1/2 to be too heavy for me to use. As with anything there will always be a market for it, just a smaller one that the rest of their planes.
Derek:
Could you tell me which Lee Valley iron you got for your 4-1/2?  Did you have to modify anything for it to work (I would not be willing to modify the plane)?  I was able to get an O-1 iron for it while L-N was still making them.
Hurry.  Only 19 left!
Wink

Update: now down to 9
Hi Mike

I'll have to check the blade. I'll get back to you.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(07-13-2017, 01:34 AM)wrb Wrote: I have several LN planes including a bronze #3 and a #4 as well as an iron 4 1/2.  Can't imagine paying so much for a brone 4 1/2.  In fact, I found iron 4 1/2 to be too heavy for me to use. As with anything there will always be a market for it, just a smaller one that the rest of their planes.

I have 16 LN planes, including an iron 4-1/2.  I purchased the 55 deg HAF with my 4-1/2, and my experience is similar to Derek's.  It's hard to push.  It's kind of a paperweight now until I decide to order the standard 45 deg frog.  I purchased the plane before I knew about modifying and setting the chipbreaker far enough forward to allow working gnarly grain.  It's a marvelous plane, but I don't need a bronze one.  I suspect most folks who purchase the bronze ones are intending to just hang onto them as collector pieces and not as working tools.

All that said, everything is relative.  We all tend to balk at the $750 for a LN plane, and we assume only collectors would buy them.  But, there are boutique plane makers whose planes sell for far more than that, and they are users, not collectors.  Ron Brese's planes come to mind.  Works of art, but also very functional.  Lazarus Planes would be another example.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Allan:  I went with the HAF on my bronze #3 precisely because in larger planes it is difficult to use in practice, and it works wonderfully, much easier to push around, may take a bit longer to get the job done, but that's ok.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Rich:

That's a great point about the HAF....

-- mos maiorum