That tool you had to have for one job
(07-13-2017, 06:59 AM)LarryK Wrote: Bought an oscillating cutter for a job 6 years ago.  I didn't think I'd ever use it again.  I use it all the time.  I bought a battery powered Bosch.  It broke because I loaned it out... I'll say no more on that.  I got another Bosch with a cord.  I learned as of late go buy a cheap one harbor freights work as good and for $15 you can't beat it.  I should've bought a cheap one to begin with but live and learn.

Same here. A friend of mine and i thought those were typical as seen on tv  joke until we used one(yes fein sold them on tv).  

My biggest tool i bought for a couple big jobs was a delta drum sander. Its now finally going on craigslist. Ok machine but finneky.
Back when I first needed a cutter like that, all there was to buy was a Fein Multimaster. I choked down that price, because the other tools which might do what I needed done weren't cheap either, and were a LOT more work. After I had used it for other stuff the first month I had it, I was thinking I was a wizzard for being so smart as to have bought that. I've had mine for so long before there was competition I have paid for it several times. What I do know is it might be similar to a HF junker, but it is worth so much more $$$$$$$$$ to me, that even after seeing all the ones I could have gotten now, I still have no buyers remorse.

Anyhow that tool has been used so much it's not what the thread is about. I do have a few of the other kind. You consider rental price, and most of them if not every week users I am still rather ok, versus rental. Most of this was from when I was doing trades work. Based against what I do now-a-days, shoooot, I got took
Big Grin But I am not that guy with a one car garage for a shop, so I have a lot of nooks, and crannies.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I'm glad this thread isn't about the tools we didn't need, or could just as easily do without! However I can honestly say that I don't have any tools that I've just used once. But with that said; I do have quite an assortment of those I've never used.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Most tools I bought because of one job have found subsequent uses. Bosch rotary tool(for drywall work)has been used for other things. The multitool found several other uses.

However, the flooring stapler($200) sits in the case unused(for over 8 years) since the install of 900n sq. ft. of maple flooring. I should sell it-----
Uhoh
I've had a few other tools I've bought for jobs thinking I'd only use them once and be done so I just put the cost of the tool on the job. The oscillating sander is one and the strip feed screw gun another. Now router bits, I've got a few of those I bid into the job and there they sit in the drawer with little use on them. They don't take near the real estate up though. The worst was a set of shaper cutters for cabinet doors. I got those things and then the customer changed her mind at the last minute and liked a different set I already had. She got charged for those.
Everybody blamed his old man for makin him mean as a snake. When Amos Moses was a boy his daddy would use him for alligator bait!
-Jerry Reed

Larry
Oddly enough I can honestly say I don't have any that cost more than a few dollars. When I first started woodworking as a hobby I just bought whatever tools I wanted. Now that I make my living in my shop before I buy something I do the whole return on investment calculation in my head and in general if it is a one job tool I end up not getting it. I also have the advantage of building the types of furniture that all require the same set of tools. At this point the only thing I may find myself needing is a new carving tool that is in a profile I don't have and need for a specific carving. I also still buy some obscure shaper cutter profiles or router bits on occasion. I'll admit, I miss the days of getting new tools all the time though.
I have a lathe.  Everything else is just Accessories.
Laugh
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(07-12-2017, 07:52 PM)Aram Wrote: Yep.

Bosch Finecut. Needed once and never again. Disco-ed, so if I ever need it again, I have no idea where I'll get replacement blades!

I bought one of them used of CL. Haven't used it yet, but for what I paid for it, no worries.
A rotary hammer is not the one time tool I have, but the one time tool I really should buy. I've needed one at least four times in the past year and every time I think. "I really don't think I'll have a use for this again after this job."
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.